StudentsReview :: Stevens Henager College Ogden - Comments and Student Experiences

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology -- Terre Haute, IN
Rose State College -- Midwest City, OK
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Stevens Henager College Ogden

I can't begin to convey just what a

Oct 28 2009Other
I can't begin to convey just what a complete sham this school is in every sense of the word. I can't believe that any academic accrediting organization would actually license this "college" to teach students. This school is nothing but a moneymaking scam run by one individual--Carl Barney, who lives in Nevada. This one man owns the school outright and controls every aspect of the abysmal student experience. The first thing they do after a hard-sell, high pressure sales consult, is accept you as a student. Then they loot all possible loan monies from every organization they can work with, especially the U.S. government. You will pay $74,000.00 for a bachelor's degree that is mostly online. ($74,000.00 is not a typo and would cover half of an undergraduate education at many of America's most elite colleges.) So please, don't make the same mistake I did. Run away from these exploitive, monemaking ripoff artists as fast as you can.

In general the education is "ok"

Oct 27 2009Biology
In general the education is "ok". You pay for an associates degree normally about $35k, are you getting an education that is worth $35k? HELL NO! When you walk in it looks good, it seems like a college that has its stuff together, and they make all sorts of promises, such as "you will have no problem transferring to other schools because we are nationally accredited." **FALSE** I talked to a FEW nearby schools such as University of Utah, Utah Valley University, Utah State University, Weber State University and they ALL said they would not take anything from Stevens Henager. Or "we are always here to help you, the classes are small for the reason that the professors are there for you. If you have any issues you can just go to your professor and they are more than willing to help." **BS** I tried to get ahold of professors for help and they were less than willing. Sure they are willing to help you while you are in class, but that's where it ends. I started in the provo/orem campus and had to transfer to the murray campus due to having to move. It took them a MONTH to get my transcripts transferred when in this day and age with the technology called computers (BTW they teach technology... seems like an oxymoron to me) and internet it should have been done the next day MAXIMUM! My graduation date was set for April of 2010, now that I've transferred they are setting me back 5 months!! The majority of the students there are usually the ones that look like they've hit a few too many crack pipes, and been in prison more than once... I would NEVER recommend this school to even my worst enemy because even they deserve a better education than I am getting.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

Although I am not an international student, I

Nov 30 2009Business - Management and Administration
Although I am not an international student, I am a local Stevens-Henager student. The classes are too easy(so that they make sure they keep getting your financial aid money). Every test I have had so far has been open book. I haven't learned anything that I didn't already know or is common sense. When you go in for information about the school they guarantee to find you a job when you get your degree, but after you are in they tell you "let's be realistic there is no guarantee". They also tell you "We want to make sure that you graduate, so you also get free tutoring" That's a joke! The so called math tutor expert couldn't help me with fractions. She referred me back to my teacher, who had referred me to her. I also overheard her trying to help another student in another subject, the tutor had no idea what she was doing. The girl that she was helping was getting increasingly frustrated and the tutor told her maybe she should go ask her teacher(hmmm, the same answer she gave me) the student got up and left and said "forget this! She referred me to you!"

Every school I have called to see if I can transfer my credits laughs when I ask. A woman on the other end of the line at a community college, tried to be very nice about why they will not transfer credits from Stevens-Henager, after some beating around the bush about why, I said"It's OK you can just say it", She said "well, I am just trying to find the right way to put it." She told me, they(Stevens-Henager), are not at the same accreditation level as we are. They(students) are not getting the required teachings and class time. Here are some of the other red flags. When I first signed up I asked them why they were so expensive, she told me it was because they included our books in that price. Ummm, we only get to borrow the books from the library, we have to give them back at the end of each course. So they aren't actually giving us our books. Next she said that we also give you a laptop. HA HA HA, that's a joke, it is a refurbished computer that they have total access to once you enter the college campus. They read your instant messages and lower your firewalls so they can get in there and do what they want. If you block them out with your own firewall and security system, you can not access the Internet from the school. Hmmm I don't think I want someone I don't know having total access to my computer. Then they let you know that if your laptop is stolen or destroyed they will charge you $2000.00 even with a police report, and they will not give you another one. I don't know about you but I am not paying $2000 for a $400 refurbished laptop. Then she told me that the expense is also for the privilege of using the Stevens-Henager name. What a joke! I was recently at an ICU unit at the hospital about 4 blocks from Stevens Henager and I asked the nurse if they ever hire anyone that has graduated from Stevens-henager, she rolled her eyes and laughed noooooooooo, "This is a hospital that needs people who know what they are doing." Great, so after all this money and time, I am going to have a worthless $40, 000.00 (That's right, that's how much I'm paying.)piece of paper that says I graduated from a scamming college with a worthless(not to mention laughable) degree. If you aren't convinced yet that they are a scam here is another thing that happened. In my 'Into to computers' mod(course), the teacher was awful, when I asked him questions about something in Excel, he said he didn't know, and walked away. Hello!! You are the teacher! I got so frustrated that I had everything wrong and I gave up and sent it in not even halfway done! Guess what grade I got. No come on just guess! I got an A, What the? How is that possible, at that moment is when I knew, this is a scam! They claim to have been in business for over 100 years. They are so disorganized, I find that hard to believe.I am expecting to come to school one day and find the place locked up tight with nothing but papers flying in the wind, and a big note on the door saying, "SEE YA SUCKERS"

1st Year Female -- Class 2011