StudentsReview :: Utah State University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Utah State University

Dec 16 2014Geography and Geosciences
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This university really changed my life. It developed my socially and academically into someone I can feel proud of being. I don't believe this would have happened anywhere else.
Starting Job: Associate Geologist Preparedness: A Reputation: A+
Nov 18 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
USU has great potential. There are several terrific professors amid the average and awful ones, but they are definitely the minority. Very little effort is made to arrange schedules in a way that you can graduate in four years. I have yet to meet anyone in the Veterinary Science program that has graduated in four years. It seems to take everyone five or six years because of how the classes are set up. Some of the biggest problems are how they overlap, how they are only offered spring or fall, and how they are just unavailable overall. Advisors seem to be pretty worthless and care more about getting a paycheck than doing their job. There really isn't any support for these type of problems. I have only had one semester in my whole career at this university where I got into every class I needed, and it was my first one where I had numerous options. If you really put forth the effort you can succeed here, but it will take you a lot longer than you think it will and cost you a ridiculous amount of money.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
Jul 09 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I grew up and graduated in a small town in Pennsylvania. There were occasionally events to go to, but we pretty much found our own fun. I decided to go to Utah state because I'm a snowboarder. When I got to Utah State, I quickly met people and made friends, but with no thanks to the university. For the first two weeks of school the campus was bumpin. There were always people outside, people were always doing something fun, and everybody was extremely friendly. If only this had lasted. After about two weeks campus was a complete ghost town. Parties were extremely hard to find, and even when we did find them they weren't exciting and were rather bland. My high school parties went way harder then any party I ever went to in Logan. And don't think for a second that you're going to go to a party and not be at risk of getting arrested. The legal system in this town is corrupt and beyond ridiculous. You will get caught even when you're not doing anything bad, and you will leave on probation. The university brags about their diverse social life and large amount of clubs that are available to students, but its BS. I signed up for like 4 clubs at the beginning of the year, and nothing ever amounted to any of them. It's hard to even find out when and where you even sign up for the clubs. The city of logan is beyond boring. There's nothing to do. We had a few good times in the mountains, but thats about it. I was definitely not impressed with Beaver mountain, which is the closest ski resort and it's still 45 minutes away. The LDS population is extremely large in this town. People are narrow minded and aren't very accepting to others. As far as classes went, I rather enjoyed them. Most of my teachers were extremely cool and welcoming. It's a shame to because its such a beautiful town and location..but the people and law enforcement absolutely kill it. I would never think of returning to this university and will try to avoid cache valley at all costs.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017