StudentsReview :: Utah Valley University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arizona Western College -- Yuma, AZ

Utah Valley University

I came here from Florida with an Associates

Aug 01 2014Nursing
I came here from Florida with an Associates degree in Nursing. I couldn't register for coursework until I met with a counselor and it took a week for an appointment to open up. When I met with her she said my credits from Florida State weren't all accepted and that I would have to retake some of them and that It would take me a year and a half to get an associates there. Also, another 3 years to get my bachelors degree there. This was a completely different story than the one that was told to me when I called and talked to them after I was accepted. This lie has cost me over $5000.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B, Scholastic Success: F

I was very impressed with the curriculum at

Oct 16 2011English
I was very impressed with the curriculum at Utah Valley University. I'm graduating this semester with a BS in English Lit, but I'm planning on staying and getting another degree in Behavioral Science.

I feel that I was challenged enough for me to learn, but not to the point that my college career was ruined for me. My brother attended BYU and he was so stressed that he had no time for even a part time job, and he couldn't wait to graduate and get out of college. My teachers are understanding, I'm able to have a full time job, and I really don't want to leave.

I really like how the school prepares you for your life after college. I actually never expected to have a job in the future utilizing my English degree, but now I almost want to quit the job I have now to persue something in a related field. Some of the teachers can be arrogant, but I almost feel like they deserve to be. Even though they are full of themselves, they're still willing to help their students.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: A-

Alright- let's get down to the nitty gritty

Sep 11 2013Social Work
Alright- let's get down to the nitty gritty.
Pros: cheap, caring faculty, FREE tutoring, FREE labs, FREE gym, FREE writing center, accessible faculty, lots of new buildings and majors are being added because of the increase of students.

Cons: Parking is a joke. However, they've tried to compensate with adding a parking garage... but I haven't seen anyone actually use it. Also, the amount of adjunct faculty really is staggering. It's unusual to have an actual professor. While sometimes this provides a different pragmatic approach to learning, it also sometimes provides dumb instructors who don't know what they're doing. I have often thought "I could teach this course."

Most instructors often cater (to an extreme) to the students. I have had several instructors ask the students what they wanted the course requirements to be. One actually agreed that we would have a "if you're here, you get credit" FINAL. If you do well often comes down to how much you can get the instructor to bend in your favor. Good for students who want to slack off, not good for students who actually want to learn and work hard for their education. Starting off at this university will give you incredibly unrealistic expectations about how difficult college really is.

Social life is lacking, and there is absolutely NO school pride. Often people are hesitant to even tell people where they go to school. It's that bad. There's also no sports. I suppose we have teams, but no one goes because it's expensive-- even for students. Overall, if you really have no where else to go and have a pulse, this University is for you. Or if you're planning on transferring, go for it! But, don't expect to take away a lot from UVU.

5th Year Female -- Class 2014