StudentsReview :: Brigham Young University - Provo - Comments and Student Experiences

Brigham Young University - Provo

I am not a member of the MormonQuite BrightAstronomy
I am not a member of the Mormon Church, but I have several LDS friends. I decided to attend BYU Provo for a year to learn more about their religion and culture and how this affected the school. I was not surprised to find that the faculty and my fellow students were extremely friendly, helpful, smart, and humble. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

My courses at BYU were somewhat more difficult than those I took at UCLA, but my professors were more than willing to help me reach my full potential. For the most part, tests accurately measured how well I did in each class and grading was very fair. The library is particularly impressive. It provides students with an ideal study area and access to an endless supply of information.

The most striking quality about BYU is the spirit that is felt there. Their strong ties to religion didn't bother me. They are very welcoming and accepting of people of all faiths. The Honor Code they have in place is very closely related to their religion, but all it seems to do is protect students from doing stupid things like drink or dress inappropriately. I think it is simply genius.

I met so many people at BYU that seemed genuinely happy about life despite their troubles. I have heard that Mormon parents force their children to follow the Church's rules or "brainwash" them, but I have experienced firsthand that this is not true. Students at BYU are there because they choose to be, not because their leaders or parents tell them this is the only option. I would recommend this university to students of any faith. It is truly an amazing school with a very positive atmosphere that helps transform teenagers into mature, responsible, confident adults.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: B-
I grew up in the Church of JesusBrightNutrition
I grew up in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) and thought BYU was THE school to go to. I was also excited to move to Utah. About half way through my experience at BYU I was beginning to feel it was not at all what it was cut out to be.

Ironically, it was a culture shock, being around so many other Mormons. I honestly don't understand how anyone that is NOT Mormon already can stand BYU, Provo, and/or Utah period!... I mean if I, being a Mormon had a hard time with it. There is a reason you hear many joking around that it is the "Bubble." or the variation I prefer, "the bubble within a bubble, within a bubble." Utah = a bubble, Provo = bubble, BYU = bubble. that's three degrees of being closed off.

The Psychological, Sociological, and Spiritual Strain, and some Physical (mostly due to lack of sleep and consequences of stress from the a-fore mentioned) i felt I received during my experience at BYU was NOT worth my time or the money spent there! Unfortunately I have not been to any other schools so I can not make comparisons. I was afraid to change schools, fearing i would experience worse, and also fearing the inconvenience(s) inherent in any school change process.

I actually met someone on my mission that went inactive largely due to the experiences at BYU. that should have been sign enough for me, but Nooooo. Luckily, though i am not inactive, but i am struggling more than i ever have my entire life.

I had horrible roommates, then after BYU housings efforts to relieve me they placed me with even More Detestable roommates. not many roommate stories top mine... and mine were *sarcastic* "supposed to be God loving, respectable, high morale holding Mormons... HA!"

I never expected that I would have had to be in a cadaver class. I was going to be a Dietitian, not a Doctor, operating on people. why did i have to see cut up and mutilated bodies. I never intended to see that kinda stuff. so maybe that is my fault i did not research all my major entailed... but it would have been helpful if some faculty would have told me that in the beginning before i wasted my time and sanity getting that far into the major, knowing there are people who try to AVOID at all costs stuff like that!

The nursing major is SUPER CUT THROAT. if you don't have a 4.0 AND good relations with the faculty, you are gona have to start over or move into a similar major (mine) and push people out with your newly acquired cut throat attitude. I opted for a "similar" "easier" major too after that and took ANOTHER grueling cadaver class, because all i wanted to do was GET OUT by then and graduate in anything. just so i could say, "I graduated."

If teachers tests don't result in a certain statistic of A's, B's, C's, etc. then they have to make the test harder... or rather "trickier" or "subjective." If the teacher is genuinely a good teacher and the students are genuinely good students, ... well Forget you, 'cause there is no such thing and this percentage is gona succeed and this other percentage is gona be average, and this percentage, failures! Muahahahaha. welcome to the real world right!

And darn you if you ever sing hymns (church songs) outside out-loud on a church sponsored property, in a largely church oriented public... because someone will surely be freaked out about it and call the cops on you.

darn you if you do homework on a Sunday, even if it is for Book of Mormon class. Molly Mormon, or Peter Priesthood is gona tell on you!

ohh there is sooo much more, but i know i am probably a bore, and besides, much else is just hard to describe. and maybe this was really all just very subjective to me, but there it is for you to take or discard

4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: D
Quite BrightNutrition
I really enjoy my classes and have loved my professors. I feel I have gotten a high quality enducation and have enjoyed it.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2007