StudentsReview ™ :: American Military University - Comments and Student Experiences

American Military University

I completed my degree while on Active Duty

Jun 13 2013Philosophy
I completed my degree while on Active Duty and AMU offered the best ability to balance my career and my school. The instructors were all incredibly responsive and helpful. I don't know if it's still the case, but books were covered in tuition, so that was a nice perk in addition to being regionally accredited. The program was arduous and while I missed the peer interaction I'd get in a brick & mortar institution, it was still a positive experience. Nearly every exam was qualitative, requiring constructing analysis and composition. I definitely feel I earned my degree.

The only "low" side, other than lack of peer interaction, has been a slight stigma against online institutions which seems to be waning in recent years.If you are military, TA will cover all your tuition and get your books too, since they're included in tuition. I would not recommend any other institution higher for those wishing to pursue a degree online while active duty.

4th Year Male -- Class 2008
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D

I am Full Time active duty, and being

Mar 12 2013Business - Management and Administration
I am Full Time active duty, and being always on the move I have not had any opportunity to attend face-to-face classes. AMU was recommended to me by my Educational Boss, and I have been attending since 2011. The classes are structured for working adults, which work out great. I recommend this school to any adult looking for a way to finish up on their degree.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B

American Military University has provided me a positive

Nov 15 2012Philosophy
American Military University has provided me a positive experience in education. As an service member not having been in high school for a long time, AMU provides an excellent transition from basic writing to academic writing. The courses are challenging, but it is not to say that they will take up your whole day if you are taking one to two classes per eight weeks. However, some of us, such as myself, are taking three courses and the reading requirement (aside from comprehension and retention) becomes very challenging.

If there is one thing the University is lacking right now, it is a universal structure for each class. I mean to say that assignments should be due from Thursday and on due to the fact that assignments are overloading when a student takes more than 2 courses at once. I intend to complete my degree within the 4-year margin, not 6-years. Finally, as some people may provide an insightful retort to the fact that AMU/APU is a "for-profit" organization, one thing they fail to realize is that APUS is still a military friendly organization that can be the stepping stone towards completing fundamental courses with the option to continue online, or transition into a higher learning institute. APUS is constantly improving its system and for a 20 year old school, it has done a tremendous job at advancing individuals into career oriented professions, military advancements, and personal achievements.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014