StudentsReview :: American Military University - Comments and Student Experiences

American Military University

Love AMU!Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Love AMU! Some folks have concerns about accreditiation and have susggested looking at websites to check out AMU's accrediation. If they would have listed the official name of the university, American Public University System, they would have found it is regionally accredited by the North Central Association. :) If you are looking for online classes, this is the place to be..even if you are not military. The do specialize in that arena..and although someone in an earlier post stated they did not understand TA etc..had to have been a plant..because after serving 27 years in the Air Force and attending many schools, I can say they totally get it and are extremely helpful. Great school...quality education...caring professors...for undergrads they pay for all your books. I cannot say enough great things about this school.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C
AMU has been great.Quite BrightCriminal
AMU has been great. I move constantly with my wife being active in the military and me in the reserves. I went to a junior college for my electives which I would suggest to most because of cost. I use my GI Bill for AMU which is working fine. AMU also accepted 26 credits from the military (SMART transcripts) that my junior college would not.

The instructors have a wealth of knowledge. Most have graduated from service academies, war colleges, etc. and have real world experience. They also understand that many students are working as well so are flexible with turn in dates for assignments. The school is also pretty demanding. No easy A's here.

The types of classes are great as well. I didn't find any other schools that offered counter terrorism as a concentration and I believe that AMU is only one of two RA schools that offer a masters in strategic inteligence.

AMU is geared towards those that which to work in the emergency management field or other government areas. Most students are military which makes the environment comfortable talking with like minded individuals. Going to a junior college as a 27 year old outside DC with 18 liberals in no fun. Most of the AMU students are there for one reason, an education. I would definatly recomend AMU for the quality of the education and ease of use.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2007
Scholastic Success: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C
Because of my "American Military University" (AMU) alumniQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Because of my "American Military University" (AMU) alumni status, I feel it is my pride, duty and honor to provide useful comments about the University, faculty and fellow alumni.

I would first like to say a few words about the medium used by AMU. Although we can find fault within every educational institution, I think it is important to understand that AMU provides a non-traditional setting. This means AMU has the ability to provide a quality education to those in a position where a traditional classroom setting is not possible. The University was originally formed to facilitate the higher education of our military men and women--I am proud to say I am one of those recipients.

AMU has continued to grow and is now able to provide a quality non-traditional education to anyone with the desire to learn. This is a true testament to the value of the education the University and its faculty provide. However...this is not a University that will just hand you a degree for participation alone--you will have to apply yourself and the fundamentals being taught. Don't be fooled by the medium thinking you can coast through this University. If I can provide one piece of advice…do not register and enroll with AMU without being mentally prepared to dedicate yourself and understand the personal commitment needed to succeed. I personally have taken traditional and non-traditional courses from a few different educational institutions and consider AMU to be at the top of the list in challenge and quality.

How about credibility through accreditation? For those who challenge AMU's credibility and jumped ship too soon, I challenge you to research the regional accreditation that AMU now holds with the NCA. The truth is...AMU has grown to be a respected University within the nation that offers unique educational programs for unique personal and national needs. Additionally, I challenge those who question the credibility of AMU's faculty to look at their bios on the AMU website. You will see that the majority are practicing in the field they teach and have exceptional credentials from other highly reputable universities.

As for me, I have now moved on to a Masters program (MBA) with Colorado State University. Those who say you can't move forward in career and educational opportunity by seeking a higher education from AMU is simply wrong! I consider myself living proof that AMU provides great opportunity. For example, I was able to gain admission to not one, but two AACSB universities with the education I received at AMU. AACSB is the “Association to Advanced Collegiate Schools of Business.” AACSB is the premier accreditation for those seeking an advanced education in business and currently accredits only 540 universities in the world. Additionally, I have been able to compete for respectable career opportunities that would not have been possible without my education with AMU. These are only a few examples of how AMU has changed my life.

Well...I feel much better now. Here’s the bottom line—for those of you who want the challenge and are willing to dedicate yourself to a quality non-traditional education, AMU is an economical and fulfilling choice.

Thanks to AMU and its faculty.
pacman

Starting Job: Executive Account Manager; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A+

Central Washington University (WA) 1:negative

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

University of Pennsylvania (PA) 1:advice

Iona College (NY) 2:negative

Compare AMUSave AMU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→