StudentsReview :: American Military University - Comments and Student Experiences

American Military University

I am a recent graduate of AMU's BS

Jan 02 2012Natural Resources
I am a recent graduate of AMU's BS in Environmental Studies program. I completed my entire degree online, therefore I have no traditional university experience with which to compare it. I will say many of the courses were challenging. The professors ranged from exceptionally helpful to utterly disinterested. Despite the stigma associated with online degrees, they do have their benefits. I could not have completed my degree had I not been given the opportunity to do it online. Furthermore, I have been researching Masters programs at various universities, and I have yet to be told by an admissions department that they will not accept my degree.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Education Quality: B+

American Military University has provided me a positive

Nov 15 2012Philosophy
American Military University has provided me a positive experience in education. As an service member not having been in high school for a long time, AMU provides an excellent transition from basic writing to academic writing. The courses are challenging, but it is not to say that they will take up your whole day if you are taking one to two classes per eight weeks. However, some of us, such as myself, are taking three courses and the reading requirement (aside from comprehension and retention) becomes very challenging.

If there is one thing the University is lacking right now, it is a universal structure for each class. I mean to say that assignments should be due from Thursday and on due to the fact that assignments are overloading when a student takes more than 2 courses at once. I intend to complete my degree within the 4-year margin, not 6-years. Finally, as some people may provide an insightful retort to the fact that AMU/APU is a "for-profit" organization, one thing they fail to realize is that APUS is still a military friendly organization that can be the stepping stone towards completing fundamental courses with the option to continue online, or transition into a higher learning institute. APUS is constantly improving its system and for a 20 year old school, it has done a tremendous job at advancing individuals into career oriented professions, military advancements, and personal achievements.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

First off some of the grades assigned in

Dec 05 2011Unknown
First off some of the grades assigned in rating AMU are really not applicable as it is a distance learning environment, I.E. everything pertaining to "The University" and "Social/Interactive".

I have began my college studies by in a traditional "brick and mortar" environment completing roughly 25% of my studies in the traditional method. I attended four different schools as I'm active duty military and when I began schooling distance education hadn't really come into its own at that point (1998 time frame). A fellow active Marine informed me of AMU and how the format made it easier to fit into his schedule as a Marine.

I began my studies with AMU and due to deployments, the high op-tempo and training it took me about six years to complete my degree. It should be noted that I lost over 21 credits I had taken with AMU as after a year of inactivity one must re-apply for admissions. This happened on two occasions due to operational commitments, both times I lost credit in classes I had already taken via AMU. This was not a scam or some ploy by AMU to get more $, but the classes I had to take over were due to the fact that AMU is constantly re-evaluating their curriculum and increasing the academic rigor of the courses.

Most of the instructors participated quite a bit in the online discussion boards providing thought provoking questions and observations. Most instructors provided constructive criticism and critiques in a timely manner to submitted work. The communication between the instructors and students was typically very good. That's not to say there aren't a few "lemons", but those professors are the exception, and certainly not the rule.

At three quarters of the way through my degree I decided to apply to Oregon State University. I completed the application and was subsequently accepted to OSU, and ALL of my credits and classes taken through AMU were accepted by OSU and received transfer credit in some capacity. In the end I decided to stick with AMU due in large part because the legitimacy of the school was validated in my eyes by the acceptance of the courses I took at AMU.

My studies at AMU were fulfilling and enlightening. Some classes were easier than others, but the same would be found in a B&M setting as well. Some classes were much more difficult then those I had taken in a B&M setting. All in all it was a positive experience and I would recommend AMU to any busy professional trying to juggle the obligations of family, work and pursuit of higher education. Be forewarned, even though AMU allows one to juggle the numerous obligations of adult life, it's not an "easy degree". AMU is no degree mill. The better part of every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday was spent reading and writing while I took two classes simultaneously. I sacrificed a lot of free and leisure time in pursuit of my degree, but it was worth it. A degree from AMU is good enough for a commission in the military, that in itself should tell you something.

5th Year Male -- Class 2011