StudentsReview :: American Military University - Comments and Student Experiences

American Military University

all they want is

Jun 28 2013Other
all they want is your money. I live a busy life style with a full time job and then some. if you dont constantly take course and give them money they hound you and drop you out of the degree. they want the easy veterans gi bill money and care about nothing else.

Pros:

May 22 2013Computer Science
Pros: Low tuition cost, classes online, 8 week sessions, some instructors are good while some are horrible.

Cons: class material is sometimes outdated, only receive pdf versions of text books, required to post mundane replies to discussion board topics where everyone says the exact same thing just a little differently but you MUST reply to two posts, some course cover entirely too much information in teh 8 weeks while others don't cover much material and have not tests.

I just had a database class where the instructor did not provide any feedback to the discussion boards, he gave feedback on our discussion board topics in our grades and his comments made no sense half the time and sometimes were very difficult to read because of the spelling errors.AMU claims to be military friendly, but while I had around 20+ credits through military courses I had taken, only 3 of those were actually transferred in towards my degree.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Education Quality: D

I completed my degree while on Active Duty

Jun 13 2013Philosophy
I completed my degree while on Active Duty and AMU offered the best ability to balance my career and my school. The instructors were all incredibly responsive and helpful. I don't know if it's still the case, but books were covered in tuition, so that was a nice perk in addition to being regionally accredited. The program was arduous and while I missed the peer interaction I'd get in a brick & mortar institution, it was still a positive experience. Nearly every exam was qualitative, requiring constructing analysis and composition. I definitely feel I earned my degree.

The only "low" side, other than lack of peer interaction, has been a slight stigma against online institutions which seems to be waning in recent years.If you are military, TA will cover all your tuition and get your books too, since they're included in tuition. I would not recommend any other institution higher for those wishing to pursue a degree online while active duty.

4th Year Male -- Class 2008