StudentsReview :: Christopher Newport University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA

Christopher Newport University

Quite BrightMusic Education
It is a good safe school but in most cases you can do better
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
I like it here a lot.Quite BrightBiology
I like it here a lot. Housing screws up from Tim to time, but when you get it, it's great. Wish it wasn't a dry campus. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Classes have been great for the most part. I've only had a couple profs that I thought sucked. I'm glad I came here. I wanted a small school that provided a great education and that's what I got
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
My review of CNUBrightSociology
My review of CNU
This review is aimed at highlighting the most attractive and unattractive aspects of CNU as an institution from my point of view as both a student and a young adult.

First, I would like to explain who I am as a person, because some people truly love CNU and I am frankly not one of those people.

I am currently a sophmore at CNU and came from a high school in northern virginia (as most student here did) that had a graduating class about as large as my class here at CNU. I chose to come to CNU for two reasons, 1) I couldn't afford out of state tuition at ECU, and 2) I didn't want to dissapoint my parents by attending Radford (haha). My ideal college would have been one that was larger (like JMU or Tech), but nevertheless I came to CNU with an open mind despite some harsh criticism from friends back home. Also, I consider myself to be very intelligent, however I lacked motivation and work ethic in highschool which is why I wasn't able to get into JMU or Tech.

Students at CNU
Let me say first off that I've met some great people here. People that I have become friends with that will last the rest of my life. However, that being said, there are a majority of others who I just don't fuck with. Students here are either very religious, socially awkward, boring, or some combination of the three. My hall freshman year was filled with some of the most unappealing people to be around socially that you could imagine. The kind of people who would sit in their rooms on a Friday night and watch twilight kind of people (sadly guys and girls). The kind of people who would unmistakably judge you for walking back through the halls looking high/drunk on a weekend or tell you that they "used to drink in highschool" kind of people.

Housing is possibly the worst part about CNU. I don't care how "nice" the dorms are compared to other schools. The bottom line is that they're DORMS.? And if you don't know already, CNU has a mandatory 3 year on campus requirement which is absurd. While students at other schools are getting apartments or houses with friends their sophmore year, students at CNU are frantically trying to sign up for their spot in an on campus dorm room. What if you don't sign up in time? Tough luck, you're getting randomly placed in a room next year. Also, given that CNU is a dry campus, if you are an occasional drinker like me you are bound to get caught at some point by the RA'S. (HALL WALKS AT 9, 10, AND 12 EVERY NIGHT) so get used to that. Also, get used to waking up in the morning to leaf blowers outside your window at 730, or dump trucks slamming open the dumpsters because I am telling you, that shit becomes life.

Don't get me wrong, the education is good here. CNU gives you every opportunity to succeed academically. The classes you the are mostly 30 person classes. I personally prefer larger, lecture type classes but that's a preference. Also, there is an attendance policy so you can't skip even if the class comes easy to you and don't need to be there every time. (Sucks)

Social Life
join Greek life, plain and simple. There is absolutely no party scene outside of Greek organizations. But don't get too excited, CNU just implimented a new rule that says no house (east campus housing, basically apartments for upperclassmen that is still considered on campus) can have all members of the same greek organization. They must have at least one other student living in the house that is apart of another Greek organization. (In other words, you have to share a house with another fraternity.) Their reasoning? They claim it supports "Greek love", whatever that is. The bottom line is CNU feels like a day care center for socially awkward and introverted young adults. If you are a normal student looking for a college experience, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, attend CNU.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: F
Compare CNUSave CNU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→