StudentsReview :: Christopher Newport University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA

Christopher Newport University

Do not, and I repeat do not attendBrightArt & Design Department
Do not, and I repeat do not attend this school if you're planning on transferring in. These people do not take kindly to transfer students, even if your father is a legacy from when it was still a small college. From the start they have lived to my face. I left my previous school due to the commute being too much, mostly due to traffic. I was informed by my transfer adviser that I would be allowed to apply for housing, at that time I was 26, and had various pauses in my life due to family trouble that affected my college progress. They knew my age when applying, however when I went to housing at the start of the semester I was told that they do not house anyone over 23. Doesn't matter if you're in or out of state. So I was again put into a position of commuting from home to school, a thirty to forty minute drive away. Then there was the issue of the meal plan they have, which hilariously from the same department told me that I can't cancel or amend a meal plan in the middle of the semester, but charged me again for the next semesters plan which I didn't even attend nor use, but still expected to pay on top of the first plan I had already paid at the end of the previous semester. Shortly at the end of my semester I was given grossly different grades than what their grading online system had been telling me since the start. One in particular was from a teacher who was absent himself during a few lab classes, had me marked as absent for those days and my final exam, yet I was physically there on that day to take my exam, meet him eye to eye and turn in my paper. Avoid this school. They are only after misguided rich kids in Northern Virginia to keep the president's nuisance expansion plans afloat.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use/ spending: C, Education Quality: F
I was a recruited student athlete and liedBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was a recruited student athlete and lied to and misled during the entire recruiting process. They make students sign the honor code but the entire athletic department lies. I have yet to get a truthful statement from my coach. Please if you are a student athlete, look elsewhere. CNU implements cutthroat recruiting tactics and will say anything to get as many athletes as possible to attend, then weed you out when you get here!
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: D
This university sucks you in with promises ofBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This university sucks you in with promises of great things. But students will quickly realize that all those "great things" don't exist. I am placed in a triple in a room built for 2 people, the living conditions are intolerable. The rules are honest to god ridiculous, i've gone to private schools my whole life (boarding high school) and the rules here are more strict. There is a thing called checs you are send to if you do something thy consider "bad." This week I have to go have a meeting because I was being "too loud" at 10 pm on a week night (quiet hours start at 9) now I have to set up a meeting and explain what I did wrong, this will be followed up by writing a 3-4 page reflection. Meanwhile I know someone who was arrested at an off campus party and doesn't have to go through checks because it was off campus. CNU gets such good "safety" ratings because they make everyone go off campus if they want to meet up. I am a girl, who has to walk off campus if I don't want to get in trouble with checs every weekend. I do not recommend this school. The pros do not outweigh the cons. I haven't eaten in a week because of how awful the food is, so please if you are considering this school just don't.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921