StudentsReview :: Christopher Newport University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA

Christopher Newport University

What students need to know and probably don't

Jun 18 2013Music - Performance
What students need to know and probably don't is CNU was actually started by William and Mary University as a satellite campus. Now fully on their own and growing they do not wish to just be just a public university. Since they are newer and they wish to keep themselves small, they are modeling themselves on examples set by smaller Ivy League schools and holding at just above 5000 students. The inside and outside is marble and walls are floor to ceiling walnut in some rooms, so it looks very Ivy League, private college, looking. But the atmosphere is super friendly, professors know you by name and invite you to their private homes. Average GPA for the newly admitted freshmen for 2013 was 3.8 most were 3.9 Average SAT 1175. 7000 applied only 1200 were accepted. All Freshman, sophomores and Juniors are offered housing here. And it's top notch housing too. But CNU IS NOT a party school, if that's what you want then this is the wrong place for you.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B-

Very fast moving in quality of education

Jun 16 2013Unknown
Very fast moving in quality of education. You tangibly see the differences in the student body. More kids coming from nova, high end private schools, and intellectual backgrounds. Very UVA, becoming very preppy as well. Country people and the close-minded 'bible belt' types are a fast dying breed here. Will be top notch very soon, within several years. Already above university of Maryland in educational quality.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B+

CNU was my backup school, but when the

Jul 22 2013Biology
CNU was my backup school, but when the school I wanted to go to didn't give me any scholarship money and one year there costed more than all of my years at CNU, I decided to give CNU a try. Best decision of my life. I went to summer orientation and SLAP week (for PLP kids) and hated everything about it and was dreading coming back in the fall. I have never been happier in my life when I got back to school. yeah the first week was awkward, but once I figured out the school and made friends, I was so beyond happy. I wanted a school I could party at and have a good time, and after looking at reviews on other sites, I was nervous about the party aspect because everyone said it didn't exist. they lied. yeah most parties are off campus but its not hard to get a ride or grab a cab. one review on this site says the RAs search for you drinking by doing hall checks. yes they do hall checks, but they are at the same time every single night and all you do it just quiet down a little for the 30 seconds they are on your hall. and about 95% of them couldn't give shit, they just do it because its mandatory for their job. my RA knew I was drinking all the time and really did not care. CNU food is okay, it gets old. but I love this school more than anything in the world and would never ever transfer. if someone hates it because the people are rude or they can't find parties, they must be doing something wrong.oh and if you are thinking about PLP, honestly I hate PLP the most of anything at this school. some people love it, im just not one of them. I think the information is dumb and useless. if you can get just honors and still get the money, do that. but if not, the benefits for early housing is definitely a plus.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016