StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

George Mason University

George Mason has been the worst university experienceQuite BrightBiology
George Mason has been the worst university experience I have ever had. I have attended four other universities as part of my educational pursuit (3 for undergraduate degrees, and 1 for pre-requisites for master's). I have attended so many because I'm from an Army family and thus have been required to move several times. I am attending GMU to take more classes for pre-requisites for my master's now that I am back in the USA, and I am extremely disappointed. If there were another university I could attend to take all my courses I would. My experience makes me wonder if GMU would be so big if another university in the area existed as a competitor. My complaints against GMU are numerous. Their system is so bogged down by bureaucracy that nothing can be accomplished quickly. The staff and instructors are so devoted to the institution that they cannot think for themselves, and will only answer 'no' to any question that might go against university set policy. Heaven forbid that university policy be questioned, even if it could use some changes. I had an adviser actually tell me that, because I wanted to take a course that wasn't necessarily in my "degree" program, but required for my master's degree, that I was inefficient, and not trying to actually learn! On top of that, the GPA calculations are unlike any I have seen before. Most universities operate under A = 4.0 standards. Not GMU, they have to be different and for difference's sake you must have a 95 or higher to achieve a 4.0. This might not be a problem except that departments, such as the chemistry department in particular, develop grading guidelines that make it near impossible to obtain scores high enough to make a 4.0. I have come to GMU with 2 bachelor degrees already, both with 4.0 standing, and first in my graduating classes. However, by coming here, my GPA might drop simply because they are trying to make everything harder than it needs to be. They want to be Ivy League, but all they are is pedant, with no substance. Again, I wish there was another school I could attend for my classes, but being stuck in the northern virginia area for the next year makes my choices limited. If you are considering GMU I highly recommend looking anywhere else.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
What an absolutely crappy school, crappy organisation, andBusiness - Management and Administration
What an absolutely crappy school, crappy organisation, and a crappy school system as a whole implemented into it. I would not recommend for anyone to attend here. PLEASE, PLEASE, go anywhere else except George Mason. My last two years at Mason have been hell. I wish I transferred to UVA while I could. Here are just a few reasons why I am absolutely despising my "Mason experience":

1. I have been going back and forth to the registrar's office for the past two years regarding my getting of in-state tuition, as I lived abroad before I attended. I have appealed the process several times yet have been rejected every single time. This is despite the fact that I am a legal U.S. resident and pay my taxes. I have been a commodity to George Mason University's Writing Center for the past two years. How is my working, paying taxes, and living on campus not enough of a basis to receive in-state tuition? What a shitty system.

2. Communication (mainly email, but also meeting professors in person) at Mason is the ABSOLUTE WORST. I mean it when I say this. Send out an email? Good luck waiting for a response within a month! Email a professor? Want to see one in person? Good luck being able to. Professors are never in their offices, and don't actually care about students. They claim they do, but that's only because Mason admin and the "well-being" office told them to act like they give a damn.

3. Mason doesn't care about students as human beings, only as walking ATM machines. Where does all our money go to? Instead of getting proper professors who actually know how to teach their classes, it goes to expanding on a library no one even goes to. Yeah, like that's going to make a difference in our education *sarcasm*.

4. To further outline my previous point: Mason has no regards whatsoever to the feelings of their students. You could be the best person ever, but as long as your grades aren't up to par or you can't pay tuition, Mason staff and faculty couldn't care less. An example of this: I lost my position as an RA due to poor grades. I sent an email to the Housing staff outlining why this occurred (family problems, other issues, etc) and made a sincere appeal to them that I would turn things around and they would change. I got a call immediately from this lady basically telling me, "sorry, fuck you, there is no appeal process. It's black-and-white, we don't care how good your social skills are or how much of a good candidate you'd make for the position of resident advisor on campus. All your training, and the hours that went into your preparing and training and undertaking interviews, went to waste. Have a nice fucking life".

Like, she basically said, that we don't care about you as a human-being. All we care about is your grades on a piece of paper that don't mean crap at the end of the day. And this is all AFTER I explained my desperate situation as a student with no family here in Virginia, and my paying of in-state tuition which is a burden on my family and my father's finances, and AFTER I was told there was a diligent and closely-monitored appeal process. Like I said. There is no regards to our "well-being" whatsoever. Why does that office even exist on campus, again?

5. The insane and outrageous prices of housing and everything else on campus. And it's all low-quality anyway, from the food to the residences.

These are but a few reasons why Mason is a terrible school and no one should go to it. I could go into detail as to why it's a completely abhorrent school, and doesn't even deserve to have the title of "public research university", but I don't feel like giving any more of my precious time writing a review for this shitty, god-foresaken university.

Just watch this message get deleted/ignored and to have no one respond to it. Because no one is brave enough to, to go against the school's stupid "perfect" agenda or to say anything against it. And this is freedom of speech, isn't it? One of the values the school purportedly encourages? Well, let this message stand and let people see what Mason truly is like. And let me just tell you: the school looks perfect on the outside, on the brochures and in the stupid advertisement videos and whatever, but on the inside, once you actually begin studying and/or working at the university, it is far from it. Regret my decision to attend Mason 100%. Would give it 0 stars out of 5 if I could. If you are a prospective student, don't go here. I repeat, DON'T GO HERE.

Quite BrightPublic Health
This university does not care for anyone. All they want is money.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018