StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

George Mason University

GMU is the best University but there IT

Oct 01 2014School of Information
GMU is the best University but there IT Department is horrible. The department is not willing to help help much. they think they are provided the mentor to student but in realty it not helpful at all. also they ask you to do the work that does not have any examples in the book. so i would never recommend anyone to come to GMU to peruse their career as an IT.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F

They are known for having the worst professors

Jun 02 2014Computer Science
They are known for having the worst professors. This professor somehow has a PhD when she can't have proper emails and slides. The material we are expected to know is nowhere in any of the resources provided. Its like I'm paying this much money supposedly to be taught but instead to take the test and either pass it or fail it. Another thing is how unhelpful and rude the faculty is. They are very rude and arrogant and don't care about losing their job because they know no one is checking after them. They barely speak English and its hard to communicate with them, and that includes the professor I was talking about.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

I've had mostly positive experiences here at Mason

Sep 25 2014Other
I've had mostly positive experiences here at Mason. I do see where all the negative reviews are coming from, but they just were not things that I, personally, experienced. The school really is diverse and everyone has their own life and their own thing going on that no two people will have the same perception.

First and foremost, if you are looking to party and have some crazy college life, you are not going to like it here. I'm not this type of person, so I have no problem with Mason in this aspect. The weekend really is dead on campus, with the exception of a few events here and there. If you're living on campus, you're just going to have to make other on-campus friends and come up with your own ways to have fun.

The academic is fine from the classes I have taken. The professors are very knowledgeable and seem dedicated to their subject, but I do understand that there are some ridiculously tough and unreasonable professors out there. It kind of just depends on your major...and luck. Academic advising is also pretty good. The other day I had trouble with some classes and I went to see advising and they were so helpful.Overall, I like Mason. I know it's not for everybody, so I'm not going to say that everyone should come here. I know some people who are studying here, but spend all their time talking about how much they like UVA or VA Tech. Likewise, I also have friends who really like it here. It just depends on what you want out of college.

Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C+