StudentsReview :: Hollins University - Comments and Student Experiences

Sweet Briar College -- Sweet Briar, VA
Agnes Scott College -- Decatur, GA

Hollins University

Hollins is a great school for just aboutQuite BrightEnglish
Hollins is a great school for just about any major, especially those in the humanities or social sciences. All the faculty members are so nice and helpful. I have one professor who is not my advisor, but is willing to sit down with me and chat about problems with a class or life. Also, all the professors I have had are highly educated, published, and have their own websites. Some even have their own wikipedia page! Those things are the mark of quality teachers.

The student body is also very diverse and accepting. You can feel free to express yourself through unique dress without being ostracized, for example. People are friendly and willing to help if you need help. There is a strong sense of community here without being mindless school worship. We are proud of our college, but keep it in perspective. Also, fun fact: we have no mascot! Academics are a top priority here instead of sports. That is not to say there aren't good opportunities of you are interested in that. The equestrian program, for example, is highly celebrated and boasts many members. It is a little bit expensive if you are just interested in taking lessons for fun. I'm sad that my time here is almost up because Hollins is a great school!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: C
Hollins is a smallAverageCommunications
Hollins is a small nit community. The types of people that have a tendency to make it here all four years are strong, independent, open minded women who are driven to be the best.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Surrounding City: D
Being a first semester freshman I can't giveBrightUndecided
Being a first semester freshman I can't give too much of a review on a major department or post-graduate experience, but I can say that as compared to my friends at other larger, co-ed universities my transition to college life has been much smoother. I haven't had any trouble finding friends, clubs that interest me, coursework that is challenging and interesting. Already so many of my perceptions of myself and the world around me have changed in ways that I never expected. Yes, Hollins does have alot of rich girls, my best friend is of old Virginia tobacco money, but that doesn't seperate us much. Hollins is the most accepting place I've ever been in. The diversity is astounding, considering it is a small private school in Virginia, this part of the state isn't known for it's diversity, but it's impossible to find people exactly like me. I wouldn't consider transferring even for a second.

I came into college already pretty confident in myself, my convictions, and what I want to do with my life, but these things are already shifting and growing. I'm even more confident than I was, I'm never looked down upon by my friends or my professors, my professors are incredibly helpful and personable. One of my professors took my class on a trip to visit his farm and go hiking for a day. Dinners with professors are a common occurence. The Dean of Students knows me personally, even the President of the college is friendly with everyone on campus.

I look forward to the next four years and I encourage anyone that wants a good education in a welcoming community to come visit.

Common myths i'd like to contest:

1)Boys DO show up quite often. Theres parties almost every weekend and they always find their way here, the W&L Rugby team was outside my dorm uninvited one night, that doesn't happen at just any college. Every Hampden Sydney, VMI, and W&L boy knows Hollins is the place to go to find a girl to bring home to Mama.

2)Roanoke does NOT suck. We have top-notch dining, nightclubs, and museums. The shuttle runs from campus to the mall and downtown all weekend, you can spend a whole day and night downtown easily and without getting bored. You just have to get out there.

3)All Hollins girls are NOT lesbians. I, personally, am straight. We have our fair share of lesbians, maybe it appears to be more here, but thats because we're more openly accepting of the LGBTQ community than any other university you might go to.

4)Not everyone is a rider, writer, or rich. I am none of those three, and I have tons more friends who aren't as well. Yes girls who are one or all of those three are here, but they're everywhere else too. The great thing about Hollins is that we celebrate our differences as well as our similarities and learn from eachother's experiences.

5)Going to an all girls school does not make you hate men or be afraid of them in the real world. We do have male professors here, and boys do come to visit, and we do have menfolk in our Graduate program, we aren't completely cut off nor do we forget how to function with a man in the room. In fact, we act exactly the same when a man is in the room, we don't recognize either sex as superior or inferior, we recognize individual iniative and ability. I could go on forever about Hollins, but it's not the same as personally experiencing it. Come visit if you're interested.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013