StudentsReview :: The Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics - Comments and Student Experiences

The Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics

I really do have to say I'm shockedAccounting
I really do have to say I'm shocked that Laura is still able to brainwash students into posting positive reviews. I graduated from here a long time ago and I can still say that it was probably one of the most traumatic things I have done in my life. I, along with many other students, had to be put on antidepressants as well as anxiety medication just to make it through to the end. I had PTSD and nightmares for years after the horrible and relentless mental abuse I encountered going to this school. You are put into this awful position (especially at such a young age) that you either have to take the torment and abuse from her, or you are stuck paying her the $20K that the classes cost. When I went there, students taught students. We very rarely learned hands on from Laura or Matt. Everything was about doing services on her clients so that she could make money. All we learned was how to do a microderm and simple chemical peel and a very basic facial in order to be a part of her money making scheme. I should mention that I was once yelled at by Laura and told that I would never make it as an Esthetician. I'm just glad that I was strong enough to keep going and I am actually a very successful Esthetican. I really hope that people think twice about going to this school. If you don't believe me then ask literally any esthetician in Richmond and they will probably tell you the horror stories they've heard over the years if they do not have one of their own. I have created an anonymous account just to post this review because this woman likes to send people letters from her attorney for cease and desist and slander if you say anything negative about her or her school. If you value at all your financial and mental health I urge you to ask questions to any other esthetician around richmond and get their opinion. It has been years since I went to this school and every esthetician that I have met that went there, everyone has the same exact story. I hope that this shines some light on this school and all I can do is pray that posting a review to become an advocate against this school doesn't get me a lawsuit.
Other
I benefited...because I was willing to work hard at completing the required assignments each week and stayed focused and organized in the clinical setting......

I attended the Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics from October 2010 to August 2011 pursuing a career in esthetics. I also furthered my studies in the Medical Esthetics curriculum from early September 2011 to late October 2011. Deciding to pursue and further my education at the age of 53 was one of the biggest decisions I made in my adult life. When I began the process of choosing a program several factors were important to me. Among those were affordability, curriculum, and accreditation. Not having to attend a traditional classroom setting was also a great advantage since it afforded the opportunity to fulfill my home obligations. I entered the program having a degree and experience in the field of nursing but with a clean slate as regards to the field of esthetics. When I first started, I never expected it to be as challenging as I found it to be. What a humbling experience when I realized how little I really knew about the skin. I found the curriculum comprehensive and well structured to assist in the learning process to become a qualified esthetician, master esthetician, and medical esthetician. In the beginning I was concerned with how I would assimilate the material and apply it in the clinical setting but with time and positive encouragement from the instructors, I developed more confidence.

During the course of my training, there were times I found myself concerned whether to proceed with a particular treatment protocol or unsure about a client's skin condition. I always felt comfortable approaching Instructors to ask for assistance. Instructors always helped with any questions or concerns I had and there were also several occasions where she approached my treatment table and offered suggestions and demonstrated how to improve on certain skills. One aspect of the program that I found especially valuable as a new student was the opportunity to observe and work with senior students. Observing their techniques and asking questions provided an opportunity to learn and broaden my skills and gain insight on their experiences in clinical practice. As a senior student I found that mentoring junior students and sharing what I learned beneficial in both reviewing and furthering my knowledge base and clinical skills. As I progressed from a junior to a senior student, the opportunity to experience a full schedule of clients afforded me the ability to attain the required number of hours and treatments, along with honing my organizational skills; which I found invaluable to stay organized in the real world. The online forums as well as the clinical day discussion sessions were also opportunities to exchange information and ideas between students and instructors and share different aspects and challenges that occurred in the clinical setting.

In summary, I benefited from the programs at The Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics because I was willing to work hard at completing the required assignments each week and stayed focused and organized in the clinical setting. While the courses were challenging, they are also very rewarding and I completed all programs on time with excellent grades. And the beauty of it all was when I sat for my state board examinations I felt very prepared because of the structured curriculum and passed every state board exam with impressive grades. If one is self motivated and wants a program that will stimulate you to become an above average esthetician, The Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics offers a quality program that I would recommend to anyone desiring to enter this field.

Teacher does not instruct - only allows studentsOther
Teacher does not instruct - only allows students to work on paying clients. If you are comfortable learning on your own time while paying large sums of money to work to increase the wealth of the owner, then this place is for you. Owner/Instructor is willing to terminate students for any cause and keep their money. Makes you sign a contract which allows her to terminate you for any reason she deems worthy and will keep every penny unless you pay to take her to arbitration. I warn anyone against this school. I have to remain anonymous due to the threat of being sued by the owner for making these comments.

Institute of Advanced Medical Esthetics (VA) 2:negative