StudentsReview :: Longwood University - Comments and Student Experiences

Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
Radford University -- Radford, VA

Longwood University

I am a graduating senior, and I haveBrightSociology
I am a graduating senior, and I have honestly loved my four years at Longwood. Campus is absolutely beautiful! The surrounding town of Farmville is a cute little southern town, however there isn't a whole lot to do. Some of the shops and diners are neat, there is a bowling alley and movie theater and High bridge trail nearby. Overall, the student body is friendly and pretty approachable. The professors in my department are wonderful! They truly know their stuff and actually give a damn about their students. They are always willing to help you. Greek life is huge here, some of the Greeks can be a little stuck up and cliquey though, but there are many who are friendly as well. Besides greek life, there are a variety of clubs and organizations to choose from. I'll be honest, Dhall seems really good at first, but after a while it gets old. Our athletics are ok for a small division 1 school, the women's softball team kicks ass! If you are looking for a small school with a college town atmosphere, then definitely come visit Longwood. I have made friendships that will last a lifetime here at Longwood.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: B-
Overall you should choose the school that feelsAverageArt & Design Department
Overall you should choose the school that feels right for you. I went into Longwood separate from my friends at home and gained a whole new group of people I couldn't imagine having never met. Cherish your freshman year, once it's over time flies by and you're graduating.

I am a third year Photography student and I haven't regretted my decision once that Longwood was the school for me. Most people don't realize what our art program has and how talented a lot of the students are. We have a brand new building and all new equipment that makes it being an art major the best. The professors enjoy coming up with projects that will literally beat the creativity out of you. As a majority we turn into night owls and don't finish our work until the last minute. This is a trait that comes as a college student in itself but it's a different story when you have to do sculptures and prints. For the most part the professors are really helpful and the good ones go above and beyond their job as a teacher. By the time you graduate you should have several exhibitions to put on your resume and there's the opportunity to work at the Longwood Center for Visual Arts that should be taken advantage of. You don't need a resume to get into the program and it's designed specifically so that they can assess you on the art you create while at school. That time each year is stressful but it really evaluates whether you're in the right field or not.Go to Longwood! It'll be the best years of your life!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
Longwood Helped prepare me in every way imaginableQuite BrightMusic Education
Longwood Helped prepare me in every way imaginable to be successful in a job not only in my major, but in any career I chose. I got hired on to my first job, directly related to my major two weeks before I even graduated, and started the week after graduation. I stuck with the job for 3 years until budget cuts eliminated my position. The athletics department is constantly improving, and it is fun to keep up with Lancer Athletics as they make a splash on the national scene.

For a small town, there is plenty to do around Farmville, and Richmond is only an h our or so away. The Greek scene is fairly well developed, but the different organizations fo not exclude non-greeks and often encourage their involvement in Greek activities.

The very low student to faculty ratio means you can always go to your professors after class with any issue and get is resolved. I never had a class taught by a TA which to me was critical. I still keep in contact with many of my professors and can ask them for advice 7 years after graduation. I am now on track to make 6 figures in the next year because Longwood helped cultivate me into a Citizen Leader

Starting Job: Band Techer; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C