StudentsReview :: Liberty University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

I was a transfer student with over 80Quite BrightPsychology
I was a transfer student with over 80 hours and I had an associates degree. I have always been a good student and I have even gotten on the dean's list, so I am no slacker. I was accepted at another 4 year college prior to coming to Liberty and I really wish I went there, not Liberty. I heard before I came here that they gave you no support. Yet, I wanted to pursue a Christian College. Well I was really excited at first, that was before I got in the network.

When I first visited, a young 20 year old helped me with classes and I don't feel like I made the right decision on the major either. I think that more experienced people should be working in guidance. On campus classes might have been better if I went with Liberty, but Online was and still is awful. You buy books at an expensive price and they give you assignments. You are totally on your own. There is no teacher support, in fact you never hear from them unless it is once a week to tell you to do your work and offer encouragement. Sometimes you can email them and they never return the messages in the time needed. I have only heard from my assigned guidance counselor maybe twice and that was when I emailed him to ask about graduation.

The tests are tricky and I have even had some answers counted wrong that were right. One teacher corrected some for me. Many classes do not give study guides either. The Philosophy class is awful and it is the worst class I ever took out of 4 other colleges. And I was required to take it. I have gotten so burned out with all the reading on my own, discussion boards, blogs and papers due. I just feel like I am so tired and getting no support from teachers. I have even asked teachers to explain things and they just say to read the syllabus. I did... still don't understand. That is the reason why I am asking. Oh! And Liberty had me with 2 addresses!!! One in Africa. I have never lived out of state, let alone out of the country. My drive to continue is so low right now and I really wish I went to a College with more support and on campus teaching. I don't feel like I am getting a quality education. I just think money spent has been useless. I agree with all the negative comments here. If you want a quality education, don't do Liberty Online. I have experienced pretty much all of the complaints mentioned here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: B, Education Quality: F
Quite BrightCommunications
Love it. People are awesome. I feel prepared for the future.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C+
Liberty is suppose to be a Christian institute,Psychology
Liberty is suppose to be a Christian institute, but it is anything but that. The Biblical Counseling aspect was wonderful, I found the professors were accommodating, very helpful, understanding and willing to listen. However, when I entered the psychology portion of my degree, things changed completely. The professors were clearly there for only one purpose and that was to make sure that you stayed busy, were attending classes, (so that they could get paid) and facilitating (not educating you) an online environment. There was no teaching, no instruction other than poor mouth Power Point presentations and professors who were obviously too rushed to even seem as if they were interested in providing and educational environment.

In one of the lectures presented, the professor had the audacity to (right in the middle of the video) say "I'm sorry can we do another take" and then started his presentation all over again!? Several of the Power Point lectures (you could definitely see) were conducted by a student and not a professor. You were given 90 page reading assignments, on top of all the other busy work to be done; and tested on the 90 pages in an exam with no study guide, or idea of what the exam was going to cover. Then you were told you can use notes and open books if you wanted. Who has time to rifle through notes, 90 pages of text, and Power Point print outs with 25 - 50 questions in 90 minutes with not a clue as to what material is going to be covered most in the exam. You would have to literally remember all of the textbook reading verbatim, or have others assist you to make a decent grade? And to graduate with honors if you get that far...you will need at least a 3.60 GPA minimum. What happen to a 3.50 GPA? Liberty University is not at all what I was expecting in a University; and especially a Christian University. It is just like many other online schools, and diploma mills just looking for a warm but to fill a seat or sit in front of a monitor and say I am in college. If you are looking to be educated and not self educated - Liberty is not the place. But if you just want to say that you went to college and can undergo the rigors of Liberty...have at it. I will be doing my undergraduate studies elsewhere!

Compare LibertySave Liberty