StudentsReview :: Liberty University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

Liberty is not a good fit for everyone

Oct 06 2013PreDent and Dentistry
Liberty is not a good fit for everyone. They are very up front about it. If you want a christian education it is great. The book "An unlikely disciple" by Kevin Roose is excellent. A liberal Brown university student gives an unbiased look from the inside about student life and the academics. He was surprised at some of the difficulty of the course work. The school is growing and becoming more competitive.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B

I have been an undergrad student at Liberty

Aug 22 2013Psychology
I have been an undergrad student at Liberty University as an online student for three years. I have recommended LU to many of my friends who have considered going back to school. I am Methodist and did have a hard time with some of the theology taught in their core classes. I took everything with a grain of salt. You have a choice on whether you attend a secular or Christian based university, and I decided a Christian university was best for me. I am very pleased with Liberty, and plan on going to graduate school at Liberty. It is nice to have your professor pray for you!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

I transferred to Liberty with approximately 80 hours

Sep 26 2013Business - Management and Administration
I transferred to Liberty with approximately 80 hours of undergraduate coursework. I chose to complete my Bachelor's online as it was easier for me study, read and do my assignments around my work and family schedule. I obtained a BS in Psychology which I must say is not exactly the best degree to end with but I am now currently in the MBA-Public Admin online program. I had an amazing experience with my undergrad program. I may have had one or two professors that were almost impossible to get ahold of but overall I had a very positive experience. I would definitely advise those taking online courses to seriously think about whether this is the path you want to take as it takes a considerable amount of discipline, organization and motivation. The difference between an online program and studying on campus is the accountability factor. In a classroom, you have to turn your work in to a professor who knows you and personally hands out your grades to you therefore you are more inclined to do your part. Online, this is not the case. You have no accountability to anyone but yourself. If you cannot set out the much needed time to do your work you will not succeed. I'm sure that it also depends on the individual. Some people are able to teach themselves where as others learn better from others. MOST of the assignments were not very difficult. They were time consuming, but not difficult. I can honestly say that I took more classes pertaining to my major than I would have had I finished locally on campus. My local university did not offer many of the classes I was able to take. They were not only interesting but very in depth. The texts were very close to the course work and tests. I've had a very good experience with registrar's office, financial aid and advising. I found that Blackboard is fairly easy to navigate and if you are serious in your studies, you will not have a difficult time completing an undergrad program with Liberty. I am new to the graduate program so I am hopeful that I will not have issues this time around either (aside from the 25 page research papers that I just recently realized are required by a few courses.) I am excited and think that this is a great school.

Also, I am a Christian and appreciated the integration of Christian worldviews in the studies. If you do not hold the same beliefs (such as the Trinity, Jesus as Savior, etc) then I strongly advise you to find a different school. You cannot escape these areas in these programs and you will have a difficult time with the assignments that call for you to elaborate on many Christian subjects. I would definitely recommend this school to others. It is quite a distance from where I live and actually in a completely different state but after doing my research and looking up many online programs (even locally) I decided to go with Liberty. My overall reasoning was it's faith based organization and integration of faith into the programs. I learned a lot, was taught some very good lessons on how to be disciplined and organized and overall very grateful for my undergrad education. On to graduate school!!

Starting Job: Case Manager Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+