StudentsReview :: Liberty University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

I love it here

Aug 29 2005Education
I love it here. Some things could change, but youre going to find some problems whereever you go. Lets be adult about this and not just stamp our feet and hate LU beccause we have a curfew.
1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, University Resource Use: C+

The Liberty Online staff were cordial, friendly and

Jul 28 2012Religion/Religious
The Liberty Online staff were cordial, friendly and very helpful with any questions or concerns I had. My online instructors for the most part were diligent, cooperative, and responded in timely and professional formats. The courses themselves were challenging, innovative, and aided in my professional growth and development. If you are self-motivated, highly organized, and want to learn then please attend this school. I finished my program in 3 years and then applied to graduate school which I will complete in two years because of their academic liberty, my personal drive, and God's blessings. This is truly a great school founded on Christian principles and ideals. When you visit the campus (been here twice) you will find the staff extremely helpful and a joy to interact with. You will find the campus is full of diversity - in cultures, languages, and friendliness. Its a great school!
4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

Let me preface what I am about to

Mar 01 2008Nursing
Let me preface what I am about to say by stating right off the bat that this is a VERY CONSERVATIVE PRIVATE University. If that doesn't sound like someplace you wish to go- then no need to read any further, because I doubt you will be happy here. First I will tell you about my experience at LU and then I will correct what has been said about the University from a couple other students who have posted on here.

First, Let me start off the bat by saying that LU is NOT the school you should go to if you are interested in ART. the only program they have there in art is Graphic Design. it's not bad. They have quite a bit of updated computers (DeLL) including a MAC lab, but all in all LU tends to lean more towards majors that advance the ministry.(ie: Teaching, Seminary, Nursing, Psych, Biology...etc.)

I switched my major after two years from Psych to Nursing. Nursing is a very difficult major, but I can confidently say that the LU nursing program is one of/if not the BEST in the state. The faculty are great and VERY understanding. The course work is hard, clinical hours are tiring, but all the exhaustion is worth it in the end. I found it very easy to make friends (and I lived off campus the whole time I was there). Those who said it was very hard to make friends also were in their first year. You need to give it a couple years to develop friendships. also it's hard to get to know someone in the HUGE Gen-ED classes you have to take freshmen year. Once you get into your 2nd and 3rd year you start to see your peers as friends and by senior year (at least in nursing) you're almost family.

The campus is really nice and there are VERY few "shady" places at night on campus. Freshmen dorms are of course the most run-down, but they're not in bad shape, however they are small. Upperclassmen dorms are much Nicer- or you can opt for East campus dorms which are pretty much luxury suites..lol. What alot of people do though is live on campus freshmen year and then find a way to move off campus sophomore or junior year. (most use "allergies")

Lynchburg Doesn't have a whole lot to do. the whole town is fairly conservative- so if you're looking for a party school, this ain't it.

Who would I recommend to join LU? A bright christian student who is looking to learn more about the Lord and make some great friends while getting a great education. Go to Liberty.edu and see about attending college for a weekend. It's a great way to get to know LU and will help you decide if it is right for you. good luck in whatever you decide!

-------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to make a few comments about what has been said about LU from the individuals below.
The Negative remarks made by "AVERAGE" below started off by saying that we were all "Chicken $#!7". Does that sound like someone who wanted to go to a Conservative college? No- it is no wonder why he was so miserable- He did exaggerate/lie about quite a few things though.

1. "People don't talk to me because I'm not rich." that is so stupid- neither am I. I have to pay student loans for my education and my family's income is less than $50k a year, but I made some of the best friends I have ever had there.

He seems to overexaggerate and doesn't appear to be too friendly, so it's no wonder why people don't want to hang around him.(not even "his two roommates")

2. "You can be expelled for having long hair". It is true that you can receive "Reps" (short for Reprimands) for being out of dress-code. Keep in mind this is a PRIVATE UNIVERSITY, and you agree to those rules when you signed up. You said you would abide by those rules even if you don't agree with them, and that you would accept the punishment if you break them. Also, for those of you unfamiliar with the "Liberty Way"-(the set of rules students agree to follow while enrolled at LU) here is your chance to hear it from the Horse's mouth:

The Liberty Way:

If you have any questions about how Reprimands are given:

Having long hair will get you a $10 fine- Not expulsion. (however, robbery, sexual assault and abortion will get you expelled..so try to avoid that if ya can)

3. "the faculty are friendly, but have a bad habit of screwing up." Please note that you have been there for Less than a year- so you haven't had the chance to REALLY get to know any of the faculty. Furthermore, you give no examples of how the faculty messed up, but give an example about your difficulties with financial aid. I will tell those who are coming to LU to deal with financial aid in person whenever possible. Also I would recommend getting everything in writing or getting copies made. Dealing with the financial office at LU can be confusing/frustrating at times, but they do a very good job of sending reminders to do financial check-in as well as when to make a payment. oh yeah, and what text book could EVER be bought for $35? lol. you have a lot to learn.

4. You go on to pretty much whine about how you don't have any money or friends, and you frankly just get annoying. College is Expensive- ANYWHERE YOU GO. If you're complaining about having to spend money to wash your clothes you've been sheltered for way to long- most apts you rent from, most colleges do not have free laundry services. You're kidding yourself.

My advice- take a few Gen-Ed classes at a community college, find out what you want to do and then apply to a college that will let you have long hair, cuss, and where people want to listen to you whine like a little brat. In the meantime, stay at home and let your mom do your laundry for free.

---------
The Next Negative Comment came from "Quite Bright" who said we are a bunch of legalistic people who don't understand people from foreign countries and that we think "scooby doo is bad, wizard of oz, harry potter, teletubbies and spongebob are satanic". All that is a lie. I don't know what the heck you're talking about in regards to scooby doo- I guess you are making the assumption that we believe all things dealing with spirits, ghosts and witches are evil, satanic and that we should avoid them at all cost. Maybe you lost something in translation since you admit you're not familiar with English- ALOT of people who go to LU Loooves Harry Potter. there are clubs for Harry Potter and I think they even had a viewing of a couple of the movies for a student activity. Our formal chancellor did make the comment back in the mid-90s that he believe Tinky-winky of the teletubbies to be gay because of the upside-down triangle (gay symbol), the color purple (gay color) and the fact that the character had a deep voice and carried a purse. I was there when he said it that sunday- and his reason for saying it was to let the parents know what their kids were watching and to intervene if they thought necessary. NOBODY ever talks about tinkywinky any more, so you're beating a dead horse. You are also a first year, so I would say to learn a little bit more about us before you label us, condemn us and misquote us. As for our not treating individuals from other countries with respect or warmth/understanding perhaps you missed out on the taste of the nations event we had had last fall and again last week celebrating the food from over 50 countries, or perhaps you missed out on the countless african-american, asian and hispanics clubs we have on campus celebrating diversity. Perhaps you missed what LU is about altogether.

I am writing all of this for those of you who are seriously considering attending LU. Like any college LU does have its share of problems, but the benefits FAR outweigh them. think about it, pray about it and then if you think this is the place for you, I really think you'll enjoy it. There will always be negative people out there- you have to decide what's best for you.

take care,