StudentsReview :: Liberty University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

I am currently atending online courses at LibertyBrightOther
I am currently atending online courses at Liberty University for Web Development. I am a undergraduate and hoping to gain a certification. The program has 6 classes. The first 2 classes were great because I took only 1 per term. It is more expensive to do that and not considered full time. If you take 2 classes per term you are considered full time and it is less expensive.

Last term I took 2 classes at once because I want to just finish so that I can start earning money. I got the flu and had to drop one class because the work load was so heavy. So I dropped Java and completed HTML with a B for a final grade. I am now taking 2 courses this term, PHP and E-Commerce. The work load is tremendous. On top of that I get a damn 25 out of 50 on a stupid discussion board. Every grade I get from this professor is horrible and I work my ass off for it. When I turn my assignment in the website pages work fine but I still get bumped for it. I will probably barely end up passing this course if I pass. If you cannot handle devoting at least 40 hours a week for each online class at Liberty then DO NOT TAKE IT!

I have had a couple of really great professors there that were really helpful and I appreciate them. But, my overall experience of gaining the knowledge you need to be successful at what you do it is not the place to go.

Now, I am in debt with student loan and feel like I've been on a hamster wheel during each class so have not retained the knowledge I would like to. I am not new to college and have an associates degree from years back. If you really want to get a degree my advice would be to attend a local college where you can actually sit in the classroom and talk to someone if you need help or have questions.I very much believe in God even though I said a couple of curse words. Believe me, God would probably say a few too. I am thankful that I gained some knowledge but after this term that's it for me with any college. All they want is your money and don't really care for you as a student. Really sad too. You can get online certificates for 95 dollars at w3schools.com and learn as much or more than you do at liberty. Or, go to Barnes and Noble and grab a book on the subject and teach yourself. That is the same that your doing taking online classes. At least at Liberty that's all your doing.

1st Year Female -- Class 1952
Faculty Accessibility: C, Education Quality: F
I really like the school's educational and characterReligion/Religious
I really like the school's educational and character building curriculum. However I feel that the school is not forthcoming with information about the job market in the field you are studying. Also I was very disappointed that the university does not help it's religion majors find positions at all. They have a job board but you would think that a school that promotes itself as "the worlds largest private university" could do more for it's students in regards to placement after graduation. Especially when those students are pastoral students which is what Liberty was founded for. I was also an online student and it is very expensive for online courses and there is very little benefit for the online student. Since there are around 80,000 online students and 20,000 residential students you would think that some special attention would be paid to the online students. But this is not the case. The school is building various new facilities that online students will never enjoy on the backs of online students instead of giving them any rewards. In many ways I believe that the school provides a quality education but the leaderships use of funds is questionable and not beneficial to the online student.
I was a transfer student with over 80Quite BrightPsychology
I was a transfer student with over 80 hours and I had an associates degree. I have always been a good student and I have even gotten on the dean's list, so I am no slacker. I was accepted at another 4 year college prior to coming to Liberty and I really wish I went there, not Liberty. I heard before I came here that they gave you no support. Yet, I wanted to pursue a Christian College. Well I was really excited at first, that was before I got in the network.

When I first visited, a young 20 year old helped me with classes and I don't feel like I made the right decision on the major either. I think that more experienced people should be working in guidance. On campus classes might have been better if I went with Liberty, but Online was and still is awful. You buy books at an expensive price and they give you assignments. You are totally on your own. There is no teacher support, in fact you never hear from them unless it is once a week to tell you to do your work and offer encouragement. Sometimes you can email them and they never return the messages in the time needed. I have only heard from my assigned guidance counselor maybe twice and that was when I emailed him to ask about graduation.

The tests are tricky and I have even had some answers counted wrong that were right. One teacher corrected some for me. Many classes do not give study guides either. The Philosophy class is awful and it is the worst class I ever took out of 4 other colleges. And I was required to take it. I have gotten so burned out with all the reading on my own, discussion boards, blogs and papers due. I just feel like I am so tired and getting no support from teachers. I have even asked teachers to explain things and they just say to read the syllabus. I did... still don't understand. That is the reason why I am asking. Oh! And Liberty had me with 2 addresses!!! One in Africa. I have never lived out of state, let alone out of the country. My drive to continue is so low right now and I really wish I went to a College with more support and on campus teaching. I don't feel like I am getting a quality education. I just think money spent has been useless. I agree with all the negative comments here. If you want a quality education, don't do Liberty Online. I have experienced pretty much all of the complaints mentioned here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014