StudentsReview :: Liberty University - Comments and Student Experiences

Colorado Christian University -- Lakewood, CO

Liberty University

I have been very blessed to attend LibertyQuite BrightCriminal
I have been very blessed to attend Liberty University. It has challenging courses in a wide variety of fields. It is very simple to get tutoring and speak with advisers/professors, who are always friendly and available.However, many students do tend to act quite self-righteous, seeming to be too pure and important to become involved in your problems or dirty their reputation. It is a bit disheartening, but there are also so many students who genuinely care about serving God through loving the people he has made. The community at LU is great and if you apply yourself and escape your comfort zone, you will make a lot of friends.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Scholastic Success: A+, Innovation: B
Hi! I absolutely have had the opposite experienceQuite BrightPublic Health
Hi! I absolutely have had the opposite experience then most people who have posted on this website and It honestly makes me really sad that you all had a below averaged experience at Liberty. I am an out of state student from Florida. That being said we really are not southern as far as our culture. I have loved the cute southern style liberty has and have had an amazing experience at Liberty University as far as getting involved I am 100% extroverted I have found the most amazing friends! My department has been amazing with the friendliest staff and professors.Going to Liberty was honestly the best decision I have ever made! I hope it is for future students. Also I hope that those of you who had a terrible experience that it improved at your next university!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B+
I am a senior, studying for a Bachelors of Science in BQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I am a senior, studying for a Bachelors of Science in Business with a cognate in Finance, and I attend the online school.

I know that many people speak poorly of Liberty because it is Christian, and because it teaches its classes in that context. If one takes an objective look, however, it is usually not difficult to figure out that quite a few of those criticizing the school have other motives. With its relatively low graduation rate, many people who attend this college will be unhappy when they leave. It is no surprise that they speak against the college. Many who oppose Christianity will also speak poorly of the school simply because it is Christian. That is no surprise either.

The coursework is not absurdly difficult, but it is challenging. I have made my education a priority during my time at Liberty, and I have done very well. I can understand, though, how someone who does not complete all of the reading (there is quite a bit) would have difficulty on the tests. A bulk of the grading ends up revolving around student papers, which is good for an online college as it helps to subvert any attempts to cheat. Many of the projects are uploaded to a database called 'SafeAssign' (in Blackboard) that will alert the professor to plagiarism.

Many of the courses have immediate practical use, and I had what amounts to an internship in my second year simply because I had the knowledge to complete the tasks that the organization needed.

The faculty is exceptionally nice, and will work with students. I have had some technical difficulties, but the prof's have always been understanding. They can be sticklers over due dates, but that is understandable. They have always been very fair, in my estimation, in their grading of assignments.

I am a Christian, albeit of a different denomination than Liberty. In fact, my denomination (Nazarene) is fairly close to the Methodists, both of which tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Liberty. Despite this, though, I found the two (yes, only two, many would have you think it was much more) required 'religious' general education classes were relatively neutral in their presentation. If you can get over the fact that all of the classes are taught from a Christian perspective, then the Bible class is essentially an ancient history class focusing on Israel and its surroundings (which is good to study anyway considering the state of the Middle East). The other class, focusing on Apologetics, was actually one of my favorites. Any student who can keep an open mind would enjoy it. It would help Christians to understand their faith, and could even give atheists some interesting information to ponder.

While Liberty does create some of its own material, many of the textbooks will be the same ones read in other colleges. Like I said before, there is quite a bit of reading, and if you fall behind it can be difficult to catch up.

One thing that I do not like is the amount of group work. There are quite a few (maybe 6 or 7) classes that require students to work together, which can be a real burden when some of the students do not participate. Those students, obviously, do not receive favorable grades, but the additional work does fall onto the remaining team. This is not terrible, though, as the real world often works this way. This method does teach how to divide and prioritize work, as well as how to work with others, motivate a group, and respond to difficulties. Its not fun, but I can see why the school chooses to use group work from time to time.

All in all, it is a very good school. The coursework is challenging, but this helps one to learn. The degree is valuable (despite what others may say), and my wife (who works in upper management in a health insurance company in Richmond, VA) and her peers would not hesitate to hire someone with a degree from Liberty. Liberty is accredited through many institutions, so attacking the education that one receives there is a bit silly. Two thumbs up, Liberty. Keep up the good work.

4th Year Male -- Class 2016