StudentsReview :: Marymount University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Marymount University

Marymount's Interior Design undergrad program is honestly veAverageInterior Design
Marymount's Interior Design undergrad program is honestly very good. I have some friends who went to grad there and they said it was not worth it. If you are planning to go to grad for Interior Design go to George Washington.

I didn't get a full time job right when I graduated, but I kept working part-time at this studio that was small and awesome. By mid-summer I had a job, only because I had the exact skills that they wanted. Been working there since and I love it.

Everything else about this university sucked. People were awful,bratty, privileged idiots who couldn't get into a real university. Theres a bunch of worthless theology classes that just repeat that abortion is bad and we will all go to hell.

No social life, housing is terrible and there is mold everywhere.
If you are looking for a good undergrad program in VA go to George Mason, same price, much bigger and nicer. You might think that a small university is great and that you looked at as a individual but by sophmore year everyone knows each other and hate one another. And i mean HATE.

But if you are looking for interior design than toughing it out at Marymount is worth it.I transferred in so i was only there 2 years and that was enough. Can't imagine 4.

Starting Job: Interior Designer; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F
If want real proof and not just opinionsAverageBiology
If want real proof and not just opinions on how this school is, look at the LIFE AFTER MU tab. 44% of graduates are unemployed, and 22% are "self-employed" which are all the fashion majors making alterations in their parents basement or business students trying to start a fledgling business. Thank god i went to grad school at GW.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Starting Job: Interior Designer; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F
WARNING WARNING Do not attend Marymount "Catholic HighQuite BrightCommunications
WARNING WARNING Do not attend Marymount "Catholic High School"
I just transferred out of this place to attend an actual university in DC that was worth my time and money. I applied to Marymount in HS because I went to catholic hs so of course they pushed it. As someone who had a high GPA (salutatorian) they basically gave me a full ride. That is probably the only thing good they did for me.

JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Only 21% of 2013 graduates found jobs in their fields within 6 months of graduation. VS 85% at Georgetown, 75% at GW, and 73% at AU (Thanks Princeton Review) I?m pretty sure that?s all I need to say.

ACADEMICS: The academics area joke first of all. I transferred out of there with a 3.97 GPA and did basically no studying. If you can't get at least a 3.8 GPA at Marymount then YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE IN COLLEGE.

The only program that is good and brings Marymount any money in the nursing program. It's very challenging and has great recognition in the DC area. In my opinion this school should go back to just being a nursing school, because all of the other programs are worthless. Every university has a business school and Marymount graduates aren?t even competitive for jobs as GWU, Georgetown and AU's business schools trump it by far. Marymount pumps so much money into its "fashion program" it?s terrible. They plug this whole ?Portfolio in Motion? every year for the school?s 9 fashion gradutes.None of them can find jobs in the fashion industry because that industry is not looking for college graduates as much as its looking for people with specific trades like: sowing, drafting, sales management. DO YOUR RESEARCH LADIES! All of the fashion graduates I know are sowing garments, back at home, in their parents? basement. Everyone else is either a criminal justice or psychology major, two fields that are heavily flooded with new graduates, and Marymount?s aren?t up to code for some of these jobs.

TEACHERS:The teachers were nice, helpful and really wanted you to do well, but I wouldn't call them masters in their fields.

SOCIAL LIFE: Night life is incredibly boring. Everyone just drinks with friends in their rooms or crams 30 people into a tiny Osta apartment. There?s DC, but as much as Marymount torts its closeness to the city, transportation there is bad and the shuttle stops running early.

One of the most unenjoyable parts of Marymount is the people. First of all this a commuter school so this place is a ghost town on the weekends because anyone with the opportunity to leave does not want to be there longer than they have to.

The people are annoying and self-righteous. The overly-catholic part of the student body is constantly sticking its nose out at people and are just down-right annoying. A good 30% of the school are rich kids who weren?t smart enough to get into better schools in DC not matter how much money daddy has. They are arrogant, snooty and clingy. They constantly stroke each others egos for accomplishments they haven?t done. NEWS FLASH! You go to Marymount, get over yourself.

RESIDENCE LIFE: Oh the stories I could tell about the mold, broken furniture, flooded communal bathrooms, and broken elevators, but I?d rather focus on its management. The housing department (OCRS) does nothing. They never fix any problems and are impossible to talk to. They know its terrible there too that why they all stay for one year and leave. The RAs are even worse. OCRS hires the worst people that are supposed to make residence life more fun. On a personal note, a 25 year old resident (who shouldn?t be living on campus with some 17 and 18 year olds) during my girlfriends first year brutally bullied her to the point that she has a no contact order placed against her. 6 months later, OCRS HIRES THAT BULLY TO BE AN RA, DESPITE HAVING A NO CONTACT ORDER FOR BULLYING. I have myself had an RA tell my friends and his residents that I physically abused my girlfriend, with absolutely no proof.

SAFETY: Story time again. Last year my GF and her roommate were awoken at 2am to a man knocking violently at there door. They told the man to go away and he did. Of course they called campus safety, which is supposed to be on call 24/7 and they didn?t answer for 30 mins. In tears they call me, and my roommate and I go upstairs and chase this guy is absolutely messed up on drugs, which ones I could not tell you but it wasn?t either pot or alcohol. Eventually when the guards show up my GF and her roommate are in tears, and I give him a piece of my mind. I then notice the RA go into the stairwell and I hear her telling to guy to go back into his room. Her RA tried to cover up for him that he was, ?a nice guys and would never hurt anyone.? Of course there were no repercussions for the guy, the RA, or the guard.

CAMPUS: Tiny. Not aesthetically pleasing at all. Building looks old and dangerous, and are.
CONCLUSIONG; I could go on saying many more things about their corrupt student government or that the ?university? is $4 milllion in debt but if you come to Marymount after reading this review you?ll learn about it too.

I honestly took the time to write this to stop those who made the wrong decision like me to go here, not to bash the school. Please think carefully before choosing a high education institution and make a decision you will not regret!

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016