StudentsReview :: The University of Mary Washington - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

The University of Mary Washington

Dec 21 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred from community college to UMW, a school I had been looking at since my freshman year of high school. It's a beautiful campus with plenty to do if you try. A lot of people complain there isn't anything to do, but if you look at the flyers and whatnot, there is stuff to do. I've never sat in my dorm thinking about how bored I am.

The professors here are great and very understanding. I had a couple things happen this semester and my professors were willing to work with me and give me extensions.

The people in your clubs and organizations will get to know you very well and care about each other which is awesome. I have made friendships that will last for the rest of my life. There are also a lot of community service and volunteering opportunities and those are really fun. There are "alternative breaks" which means over the fall and spring break, you can go to another town and build a house or something. This spring we have three groups going to Florida, Alabama and Maryland.

I know several students who have graduated from here and they're doing very well in their respective fields.

There isn't much of a party scene and you usually have to know someone to get invited to a party but that's not really my thing, so I don't know too much about partying. A lot of people complain that there isn't anythjng to do in Fredericksburg or near campus. You do not need a car. Downtown Fredericksburg is within walking distance and there are lots of great restaurants and little family owned stores. If you need to get to the large shopping area, make friends with someone with a car or ride the FRED (but not alone, because I had a friend who got on the wrong bus and she was alone and lost with a dying phone). Be safe.

There are blue lights (stations where you can call the police) everywhere and campus is very well-lit at night. I've walked back to my dorm at 2:30am and felt totally safe. The police can escort you to your dorm if you don't feel safe walking alone. I believe the police will also give you a ride home if you're drunk, no questions asked but don't quote me on that. Overall, UMW is an awesome place and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. Come by for a tour!

Individual Value: A, Social Life: C
Dec 10 2014Chemistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I love my chemistry Department, this was the only positive aspect of this university. The good staff hires people like themselves here and really wants to created and nurture successful chemists.

I came into this school expecting a good education. Like any other school you have the most impossible professors, and the easy professors. However the most impossible teachers taught the one class like a level 100 or level 200 that are need in order to graduate. The drop out rate and the failing out is high compared to other colleges.

The administrative side of things are unorganized, ruin students lives in messing up their sensitive finance side of things. They all don't know what they are doing.

Student here all learn how to be alone, they get so alone that they find it normal to not talk to people that they are about to explode on a panic attack in talking to people.

This school has absurd policies, and self absorbed staff. They are a couple handful that really care for this school and the well being of its staff and students.

I observed that every student here has developed a mental illness or made it even worse.
Minorities apparently are unwelcomed here, they try to make it diverse but no one wants to come so they make this school 80% acceptance rate and in the end the admissions people get fired.The quality of this school is bad, please don't come here unless if you want your life ruined.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F
Dec 07 2014Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Okay, so, I only stayed at UMW for one semester, I thought I wanted to go to a small school but this school is just WAY too small. Know what you want. I'm also a really social person who likes to go out and party!

Things I liked at UMW:
-the professors- willing to help you!! Very passionate and friendly.
-I love liberal arts and enjoyed my classes
-the campus is beautiful
-how the Dean meets up with you if you are having personal problems on campus
-I've met some friendly people, and supportive friends
-140+ clubs
-the parties are pretty chill or fun- they just don't happen a lot
-the weather (especially with no AC dorms)
-the two off-campus fraternities, they're really nice and throw cool parties.
-you can choose to drink and smoke or not, a variety of people go to UMW.
-the RAs are chil about visitors. depends who though.
-Giant Productions is pretty cool and they've gotten Wale, Passion Pit, and Dev.. So concerts have been fun!

-tuition is cheap for instate tuition
-the dorms aren't too bad but it depends where you live.
Things I disliked at UMW:
-THE SIZE.
-small classes
-no Greek life, school spirit
-everyone goes home on the weekends
-Fredericksburg sucks. It's so boring and to go to places you need a car.
-UMW has the Fred which is a busline in Fredericksburg but it's horrible, sketchy, and so slow.
-70% girls. Literally no guys.
-there's this negative and sad feeling to this place
-I've had people say to me "if I wasn't on a sports team I'd transfer..."
-the athletic teams; they are really exclusive. had some friends come to a party of theirs and they asked WHY they were there.... this is COLLEGE not high school.

-the gym could be nicer
-counselors were no help for recommending classes
-the food gets old but it's not too bad.
-freshman can't have a car unless it's for work or a medical emergency
-spring semester class selection is horrible
-student activities and administration do not throw fun events.
-no school pride
-CLASSES ARE HARD. You can't skip and you actually gotta do the work. So those are my reasons why I liked and disliked UMW. If you're not really social or a partier, or if you are super religious, or on a sports team... you'd like this school. This school has 4,500 people and it's not the smallest but I'm ready to go to a bigger university. I would never hate on UMW and its a great college: it's either you love it or hate it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018