StudentsReview :: The University of Mary Washington - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

The University of Mary Washington

Mary Wash was the kind of school I

Oct 29 2014Geography and Geosciences
Mary Wash was the kind of school I had been looking for: small, open-minded, friendly and the chance to join clubs that interest me. A lot of people say there is nothing to do here, while that might be true in terms of what the school provides, that is not true with the clubs on campus. There are over 100 clubs on this campus and they are doing things all the time, you might have to make some effort to find a club you like but it is worth it.

The people I meet (for the most part) are great; I came to this school because it seemed like a very open minded place and I was right. I have never felt judged on this campus and can be myself without any harassment. The LGBT+ community is so great here and people are so supportive of it. The faculty here really does care about their students; they do not put research ahead of their students and they want to them succeed. If you talk to your professors about something you are struggling with, they will take their time to help you.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: C-

The school seems to spend most of its

Oct 28 2014Sociology
The school seems to spend most of its money to hire professional advertising tp try to make it look like there is stuff to do on campus and that its fun to attract students who dont know better. What you dont know is that most of the advertising is done from like the total of 3 events that happen each year to make it look like there is always something to do. Ive seen a few photos that were photoshopped too like a girl sitting on a chair in a location that doesn't exist (she would have to of been floating in the air given the angle lol). The ad's are very misleading. The school is losing so many students to other schools because people are realizing this school is a sham that I personally think the schools getting desperate as they dont know how to fix the problem. I dont blame them...I mean how exactly do you instill school spirit or provide fun thigns geared towards college students? That's no easy fix so they've resorted to misleading ad's instead.

There has been nothing to do on this campus since forever and nothings changed. For goddsakes they try to even play up "benching" as a cultural thing about UMW. Benching is where you sit on a bench and judge people walking by. Its that boring on campus that thats the fun thing to do. Its sad the school even puts a spin on that!

While its possible to be happy here and there are kids who are happy, I promise you that you'll be much much happier somewhere else and you can meet the same cool/nice people with a school that provides greater opportunities and an actual college experience. I wouldnt even bother applying here honestly.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: D, Faculty Accessibility: F

Note: I selected that I would attend a

Oct 22 2014Linguistics
Note: I selected that I would attend a different university, but this is only due to the field I wish to enter, there is no real "linguistics" department here. I love UMW and I wish they had a speech pathology program.

Pros: All courses are taught by actual professors. There are NO teacher assistants on campus. Well, there are lab assistants in the science courses, but they assist, never teach exclusively.

Small, friendly, and usually inclusive campus life. Staff all over campus are approachable, and students are usually friendly. Highly recommend making friends with the dining hall card swipers, because if you're a nice person, sometimes they let you in without swiping if you're low on meals.

Technology is being updated and new facilities are being built to keep up with the campus's growth. Administration understands the school is changing. There are three on-campus dining options and some of them have vegan/vegetarian options! PRISM, our LGBT society, is our largest group on campus. It's a very accepting campus about gender and sexuality. Some profs are less accepting than others, but there are plenty that are allies.

Cons: The housing department is nitpicky about charging you for "damages" and doesn't abide by their own rules; I applied to stay in my same room for this year but they moved me anyway due to flimsy reasons.

Administration isn't the best about most things though; they keep giving students a runaround on if credits transfer for certain courses, etc.

Due to the construction of new buildings, if you're coming here anytime between now and 2017, I hope you like construction noise Monday-Saturday, 5AM to 5PM!

Regarding the food: the vegan/vegetarian options are very limited and rather bland. There are healthy eating options on campus but they get boring very quickly. The unhealthy options also get boring very quickly. Eating literally anywhere off campus becomes a joyful experience after a while of blah campus food.There is a party scene, but it's kind of "underground" so you have to try to find it. I'm not a party girl so that's why this is a con to me. Cops always shut parties down early due to neighborhood complaints.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014