StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Comments and Student Experiences

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

Old Dominion University

It was a great

Apr 18 2014Art & Design Department
It was a great school when I was there and its so much better now. I am more impressed by the growth of their research, academics and facilities every time I go back for a visit. Proud to be a Monarch!
Starting Job: Graphic designer Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+

ODU is a growing school

Apr 18 2014Art & Design Department
ODU is a growing school. It's admissions and academic standards seem to increase every year. School pride is growing as more students are here full time. My teachers are good and I am challenged by the classes. Campus is safe but be careful in the surrounding area. I love being with my friends at ODU.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Extracurricular Activities: A, Individual Value: B-

I'm assuming this school would be great if

Mar 07 2014Business - Management and Administration
I'm assuming this school would be great if you were straight out of high school, but if you are a working adult or parent forget it. Classes are early morning or midafternoon with a few at night and weekends. So for my case, work full time and have two kids, this was not a good fit. The financial aid, registrar, and military education services are horrible. Everyone passes you on to the next department and no one takes blame for issues that arise. If you need to deal with anyone don't try to reach them by phone. Typically the person will make you explain the issue and then tell you they can't help you and you have to wait for a counselor to call you back, good luck with that! As far as the classes, I am only enrolled in one class with ODU. My professor and I were communicating via email about an issue I was having. She told me to come see her during her office hours. Ok, so I set it up with my job to go visit her during business hours. I emailed her the day before because I didn't know where her office was and she asked me why I was coming to see her? That she had answered my questions in the email. Ummm but you told me to come see you... On that note, my professor in general is an issue. She has a very thick accent and makes understanding her a difficult task. Last night a student asked her if she could go back a slide because she was still copying the format and she wouldn't. The last thing is parking. The parking permit for an evening student is roughly 45 dollars (it coul dbe worse day students pay almost 200 for the same pass). These permits are only good for certain garages. Garages that are nowhere near the building the evening students go. Parking is a mad house and congestion is equivalent to rush hour traffic. Why pay the 45 dollars to park on the street anyway? Overall this school is disorganized, unhelpful, and not consistent. If in doubt hang up call back and try with someone new. This will be my first and last semester with them!
1st Year Female -- Class 2000