StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - Comments and Student Experiences

Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

Old Dominion University

I am an nontraditional distance learner, living inQuite BrightCommunications
I am an nontraditional distance learner, living in northern VA and working full time. When I decided to go back to school, I wanted to do it as sensible and affordable as possible. I earned an A.S. in Social Sciences at NVCC, then transferred. I chose ODU for their online option and because they offered a BS in Communication. My local universities only offered BA's and I would've had to spend more money taking remedial foreign language classes to major in Comms.

Yes, there are some professors who are not responsive or reasonable, and they seem to think that when instructing an online course, you can set it and forget it. However, that was not my experience with a majority of them. Most were helpful and innovative with their approach to distance teaching...they were knowledgable, engaged with students and approachable. I always check ratemyprofessors (take it with a grain of salt - though most assessments were accurate) and actually avoided taking a couple classes because of the reviews of some professors there.

To the students that dislike their advising experience - whether at ODU or any other school - be an active participant in your degree path planning. You are spending way too much money (and/or time) to have someone else tell you what you should do. Research your field, the degree requirements for your major, and the courses that will fit both. Degreeworks was an essential tool for me, as I designed my own degree plan, and then went over it with my adviser.

I only saw the campus once and it was just okay. I agree with others about the sketchy neighborhood and also received the emails about robberies and break-ins. I even had a classmate who lived just off campus that had her apartment broken into. For a distance learner, though, it doesn't really matter.

My two complaints about ODU:

The financial aid process and department is a crapshow...not one person I dealt with there seemed to have a clue about financial aid, the process, customer service or life in general. Luckily, I only dealt with them once before my first semester there because my great advisers (Missy and Nicole, located onsite at Quantico) would allow me to skip dealing with them at all and submit my forms for me. Never had an issue after that.

The available classes online were somewhat lacking. There were several classes I really wanted to take, but were not available online. Hopefully for future students, they will increase the online course offerings.Overall, I enjoyed my online experience at ODU. I made a lifelong friend, snagged a new job related to my major with two semesters to go, and will finally have my bachelor's degree. I will definitely consider ODU online if I decide to pursue an MBA or if one day they offer a Master's degree related to my field online. If you are thinking of ODU online, I say go for it!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: F
I have no idea where to start with ODU.Art & Design Department
I have no idea where to start with ODU. This school is a huge mess, advisors literally dont know anything about transfer credits half the time ( I was approved to take a few classes and had to fight for them to transfer at the end of the semester when I was guaranteed they would transfer.) I had to have a grade appeal done for a class where the teacher marked me off when I didnt understand what she was doing, and then was told I would get in serious trouble academically when I had everything to back myself up, and was told I will be graduating this year only to be told in November I have 20 more credit hours to take. I got told because of this grade change to quit my job because that was obviously the reason why I was failing as well, which was crazy because I dont think ODU was going to give me a full ride a d Im paying out of pocket for school.

I literally could go on and on. The staff never seems to have a common answer and you get told 15 different things by 15 different people. Its to the point wherebI have doubled up classes in a semester at another college close by to escape this misery. I am so tired of being my own advisor at this point, on top of all my three hour classes and late nights of homework. Please save your money and go somewhere that will be helpful.

Several teacher are belittling and rude.Quite BrightPsychology
Several teacher are belittling and rude. They don't want you to actually learn, but to conform and bow down to them. If you ask for help, they will approach you with a fight instead of attempting to help you understand, making sure to prey on your vulnerabilities. Instead of taking about the work, they will tell you all about why they belong on a pedestal. Maybe it's something they're teaching since the doctorate student TAs have the same approach. As a student in the top 5% in GPA, who enjoys constructive feedback and wants to learn, this is a nightmare.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016