StudentsReview :: Randolph Macon College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

Randolph Macon College

My experience at RMC has been truly eyeQuite BrightPhilosophy
My experience at RMC has been truly eye opening. If your looking for a school that cares more about selling you false advertising or about putting on a show than this is the school for you. If your not rich, white, and christian you will probably not fit in well here. The diversity here is very lacking. The town of Ashland is so small and the only two places that are open at any given time are Walmart and Sheetz. The academics here are a joke not because they are easy, but because they are skewed. There is a lot of busy work and if you think you'll graduate in four years you probably wont. Academically its more beneficial to fail students and have them keep paying to retake classes. If you want to transfer good luck. Not many credits will transfer at all. I am so disappointed. The campus is somewhat pretty in the fall but overall it feels like a prison. The food will make you sick and the wifi is very unreliable. The administration is a joke and if you need help with finances or housing your in for an uphill battle. They promised me a warm learning environment where your more than just a number, yet I feel like I am living in a prison full of people who have lost hope. There is major substance abuse problems here too. If your parents are rich and you're a trust fund kid looking to blow your parents money than come here although the party scene is quite lame. If your a serious student or someone who wants a fair and productive education than look elsewhere. My friends that are at UVA, Virginia Tech, UMW, and other schools are very happy. I wouldn't come back here even if I was offered a full ride.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: B-, Campus Maintenance: F
The city of RichmondQuite BrightPolitical Science
The city of Richmond is a couple minutes away but it makes ashland look small. I love RMC very much. The classes are hard, but it makes you appreciate it that much more.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C
This school has been great for me.Quite BrightPsychology
This school has been great for me. I wanted smaller classes and I wanted to get to know people on campus. This school has a January term and summer school. With my AP classes from HS, I will graduate early (big $$ savings). My friends went to state schools in Virginia and will be lucky to get out in four years. Some people bashed this school online, but they are not here anymore. The place has changed. The administration does not tolerate drugs, but is fair to students. They look out for the students who really want to get an education and go on to grad school...like me. Ashland is a little boring, but there is stuff to do on campus every night. Some of the fraternity guys can be arrogant and rude, but you can avoid their houses and still have fun on campus. A couple of faculty members can be a little arrogant, which is a shame because this is a good place otherwise. They have a whole bunch of new buildings being built right now. I won't get to experience them...but the designs are really cool. They have a great leadership program and the food is not bad. I recommend that people check it out. I would do it all again if I had to.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012