StudentsReview :: Regent University - Comments and Student Experiences

Regent University

I was a transfer student who came from a very similar school but I had to move. I then moved again and switched from being on campus to online. I have always succeeded and felt challenged in my on campus classes. Switching to online was my worst mistake ever. They only offer 8 week courses rather than 12 or 15 like most do. You are already overwhelmed because it's double the work in half the time. You might have to read from 5 books and 3 articles in one week alone with 5 assignments in one class alone. I have a learning difference that has not once been accommodated for so I have failed classes when my GPA was great. They act as if I am a burden and it is very discriminatory. Also they spend too much time with the apologetic in every class, weeding out actually discussing theory and practice.

Instructors are very hard to communicate with and do not give you their full effort because this is only their side job. Professors are very opinionated and often are condescending. Staff is diverse in ethnicity, but some foreign professors are hard to understand because they have not yet mastered English.

Adviser's are in and out and are horrible at their jobs. When I transferred the adviser I had told me my minor transferred, just to find out they don't accept transferred minors. Your classes at your previous institution are simply put on your transcript as "transfer credit" in a "in addition of requirements" section like you never took them at all. They either just don't care about you as an individual, or they are trained to screw you over in order to keep you there as long as possible to get more money.

Financial aid office:

Financial aid is a wreck. Two weeks before finals they told me they made a mistake and if I didn't pay up $2,700 ASAP I wouldn't be allowed to test and my classes would be revoked. If you are low income like me, working to pay for school, this is not a mistake you can afford when it was caused by another. Every semester it's something.

Student life:
Students are very stuck up because most come from rich, conservative families who have no concept of the real world. If you admit to being a queer you are shunned by all. If you dress differently or listen to rock you are a freak. Again very discriminatory.

Dorm life:
Dorm apartments are actually very nice. Although our whole floor's water went out one time and was not restored for another two days. RA's are very uncaring and stuck up. If you have a significant other with you they have to sign in and out in order to enter your room because they want to know your every move. Everyone pays a $100 parking fee but parking is a nightmare. If you have groceries (no meal plan) then you might have to walk from one parking lot over a bridge, across another parking lot and up the stairs. Dorms are inconveniently located as far away from the rest of campus as possible. They do not cancel classes in the ice and snow so you are walking in below freezing all that way. But you get to see Pat Robertson's mansion along the way as he so modestly places his horse stable between the area where the dorms should have been built.

I had never once seen a campus police officer in person except for when DT came to speak. The security lights are placed very far apart so if you have someone following you have to run to maybe press the emergency button and wait. Altogether, if you're a transfer student, learning disabled, queer, low income, value privacy, want to graduate on time, or want to actually learn something other than apologetics then do not go here. I do not foresee this school being open in the future because the students and faculty alike do not live realistically, and it is a money pit which no one is passionate about improving.

5th Year Female -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
I wanted to be happy with Regent University,Quite BrightOther
I wanted to be happy with Regent University, however the advisors give incorrect information requiring you take more courses. Additionally advisors continually leave and the new one's say, "I'm sorry that you were told that, but...". Financial Aid is extremely uncaring and difficult to work with. You come to a point where you feel like you are buying a used car not getting a quality education.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: D-
First off let me say I am currentlyQuite BrightComputer Science
First off let me say I am currently an undergraduate. I have taken several semesters at Regent University. I have had issues with them cutting my semester off due to my financial aid not being done in time after attending school for 2 weeks and getting straight As. I am doing the online IT Degree. There is a lot of extra work being that it is a Christian School. They want you to be a Christian Leader. Beware you will work your fanny off for this degree and I mean work hard. Some professors are pleasant, others are not pleasant at all. I have one very arrogant jerk teacher. I hope I never have him again and I have had him twice. I have had other instructors who are very nice. Some of the classes do not include instruction. You get a book and assignments and no video presentation or teaching at all which I feel is a rip off for what I am paying. On the other hand there are some very good teachers who have a good set up. I want to go to another school so bad at times. The online classes use Blackboard. I feel the office screwed me over telling me I was signing up for part time when they really signed me up for full time. I work non-stop to get A's. It's very, very difficult to get A's at regent. On a good note they give me a 500 scholarship each semester I do well. Financial Aid does seem to have issues at times. I have to call and call them. I do get my leftover money pretty fast, almost immediately. Overall it's a decent school but they need to work on their online program. Do not come to this school thinking you are going to mess around and pass. This is a very tough school. I have done nothing but work my tail to the bone. I just finished a semester and I am completely drained of all life. I have not enjoyed much at Regent. It is hard core. The Christian aspect of it is fine.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921