StudentsReview :: Radford University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

Radford University

Ok some people are really exaggerating in theirAverageEconomics
Ok some people are really exaggerating in their reviews so I'm just going to keep it real and give you all of the pros and cons. So Freshman year at Radford for me was a nightmare. If this was me freshman year I would have agreed with all of those negative comments-But this is only because I came in with a close-minded attitude considering that Radford was my last choice school. I was very judgmental and had no interest in being at the school and spent all my time working my a** off so that I could get accepted into Tech for transfer the following year(which I did). And honestly, being at Tech today makes me appreciate Radford alot more.

Academics: Academics at Radford are not bad at all, the professors actually take their jobs seriously. Obviously the person in communications will complain that the academics aren't challenging enough vs the person majoring in CS or biology. And the professors are some of the best professors I'll probably ever have in my entire college career. I believe that since Radford doesn't have much expectations academically, the professors are alot more friendly/willing to work with you and dont have a stick up their a**.

Food: Food is very mediocre to shitty, not much options to choose from, but you get used to it I guess.

People: So there are people that only come here to drink 7 days a week, and there are people that come here solely for their education, and then there are people in between. Its all about balance. Don't let the bad apples make your college experience at Radford miserable like I did. They're not paying your tuition. Once you find a good group of friends you'll be very happy, and there are alot of clubs on campus you can join. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find friends with common interests until a month before I got accepted to Tech. But they were amazing people(Campus ministry called Cru) and I still try to keep in touch with them. Parties are pretty much every night, to me I didn't really see the hype, I feel like after freshman year you're kind of over the frat scene and more into the kickbacks, but thats just me. Very pretty campus and nice dorms except for Muse Hall(the dorm I stayed in) Muse was the largest dorm on campus with 13 floors 900 students and no AC and also the oldest dorm. Very social and fun I have to admit but very hard to get any work done in your room because it was always loud. But I don't regret staying in Muse because I met alot of people there (both good and bad people). People say you wont get a job after a degree at Radford but honestly if you get a good gpa, GET INVOLVED with campus activities, and do internships during undergraduate you'll be fine. Radford being a small school and having a small classroom size is more beneficial to most people's learning, because like I said before, you're able to form educational relationships with your professors which will help ALOT. Okay, now I need to address the people that have nothing positive to say about Radford and say that their going to transfer down the highway. If you think that you're going to transfer to VT and things are gonna be magically heaven you're wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love Tech, but these are just the facts. 9/10 if you went to Radford because you couldnt get into any other school then you're probably not going to do well at Tech. The professors here do not play. At all. No matter what major your in. You're going to find yourself working 10 times as hard and staying up double the amount of time just to pull a C average, trust me. Especially if you're in the engineering college. C's are A's to engineers.(I'm in engineering now) Professors won't respond to your emails and your professor wont even know you exist (how could they, they have 300 students in a CLASSROOM) So, you'll have to get used to that transition from Radford. Unlike most people, I'm not going to purposely bad mouth every thing about Radford just because I go to Tech now. I'm just giving you the reality.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: F
I figured it would be in the bestQuite BrightEconomics
I figured it would be in the best interest of high school seniors considering Radford University for me to leave a review of my freshman year experience here. This is my warning for all radford hopefuls to step back and think twice before attending here. Ask yourself why do you want to go to Radford?

Academics: To be quite frank, academics here especially as a freshman are a complete joke. You will realize that you are surrounded by people who didn't perform that well in High School and struggle with basic intro classes. For example, in my intro Biology class the average grade was a 47 percent.... While I had an A because I actually took my classes seriously. A large majority of the freshman here don't even make it past the first semester because all they do is drink every night and completely forget why they're in school in the first place. This also has to do with the the fact that RU accepts about 80 percent of their applicants, so you can guess that there's a lot of incoming freshman that just aren't prepared for college. The professors are very friendly and easy to get in touch with. RU is still trying to get their reputation together and are in the process of scrapping the "Party school" label. There are definitely some solid programs here such as the Nursing program that's one the best in the state, but for the most part there's no real reason why you would go to RU unless you didn't get into any other decent school in VA. While I don't necessarily believe that Radford is for people who didn't get into tech, the difference between the two schools is almost like day and night. The average student here doesn't give a about their academics, just take a look at the average retention rate for Radford.. A whopping 75 percent. 1/4 of the every freshman ends up transferring or dropping out. It's not just some coincidence either. Not to mention that RU has this stupid "core curriculum" that forces you to take 2nd year English classes during both semesters of your sophomore year and other useless classes that have nothing to do with your major. Compared to other schools who only require a year of freshman English.

Extracurriculars: RU has plenty of different clubs for you to choose from, the campus isn't that diverse but nobody gets treated differently because of how they look. But tbh if you're not in Greek life you are pretty much a nobody here.

Social life: The party scene here is overrated in my opinion, it's nowhere near the level it used to be at. Cops are tremendously corrupt due to radfords campaign to fix its party reputation. But there are parties every night if you like to drink.

Campus: The campus is small but very nice in its own sense. It's easy to get from one side of campus to another. But that also means seeing the same people everyday as you go to class. RU is in the middle of fucking nowhere and their isn't much outside of the campus.

Overall, if I had a chance to go back in time I wouldn't go to RU. The reputation of the school is horrible and most people here don't care anything except drinking. While a degree from RU isn't worthless, it isn't prestigious by any means either. If you're considering RU just because it's your only option, just suck up your pride and go to go to community college and you'll save some time and money that way. After a year or two you can transfer out and go somewhere else that will be worth it. Radford is the laughing stock of Virginia schools, don't do it to yourself please I beg of you.

As for me, I'm currently finishing up my second semester and will be attending Virginia Tech in the fall (thank god lol)

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
Just a party school.Quite BrightGeography and Geosciences
Just a party school. about 2/3 black. rowdy students. messy, run down city. I would choose somewhere different if I had to re-do a second degree
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016