StudentsReview :: Radford University - Comments and Student Experiences

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University -- Richmond, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University -- Blacksburg, VA

Radford University

This is more a warning for Veterans decidingNot so brightPsychology
This is more a warning for Veterans deciding to go use his/her VA Benefits....DO NOT come to Radford and give them your hard earned benefits like I did. During my junior year I had a death in the family and took permanent leave within the first few weeks of classes to move back to SC. They completed my paperwork and all seemed fine until a few years went by and I have a letter for the OAG office taking me to court for owing $ to this college. When presented with my case it turned out the school processed my paperwork with the VA (which resulted in me retaining the remained of my benefits) but they did NOT process my paperwork within the school resulting in a full semester of payments. They let it stay low key without notifying any of my on record addresses until which time they could file a debt collection within the state.

Long story short, I have taken this to the BBB, Department of Veterans Affairs and I sent out a massive email through global(still having connections with CAC cards) in an attempt to warn as many veterans as I can of this school. For the record I LOVED attending this school....but it was all tainted by a level of dishonesty I have not seen in my lifetime.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Education Quality: C, Individual Value: F
Three words- Radford.Not so brightPolitical Science
Three words- Radford. Is. Trash.This place is the saddest excuse for a higher education institute I have ever seen. About 95% of the students are either drunk or high. The staff is completely rude and useless. Although the curriculum is not the least bit challenging, most students still choose not to show up to class. Don't bother coming to Radford. It will be the biggest mistake of your life.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Ok some people are really exaggerating in theirAverageEconomics
Ok some people are really exaggerating in their reviews so I'm just going to keep it real and give you all of the pros and cons. So Freshman year at Radford for me was a nightmare. If this was me freshman year I would have agreed with all of those negative comments-But this is only because I came in with a close-minded attitude considering that Radford was my last choice school. I was very judgmental and had no interest in being at the school and spent all my time working my a** off so that I could get accepted into Tech for transfer the following year(which I did). And honestly, being at Tech today makes me appreciate Radford alot more.

Academics: Academics at Radford are not bad at all, the professors actually take their jobs seriously. Obviously the person in communications will complain that the academics aren't challenging enough vs the person majoring in CS or biology. And the professors are some of the best professors I'll probably ever have in my entire college career. I believe that since Radford doesn't have much expectations academically, the professors are alot more friendly/willing to work with you and dont have a stick up their a**.

Food: Food is very mediocre to shitty, not much options to choose from, but you get used to it I guess.

People: So there are people that only come here to drink 7 days a week, and there are people that come here solely for their education, and then there are people in between. Its all about balance. Don't let the bad apples make your college experience at Radford miserable like I did. They're not paying your tuition. Once you find a good group of friends you'll be very happy, and there are alot of clubs on campus you can join. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find friends with common interests until a month before I got accepted to Tech. But they were amazing people(Campus ministry called Cru) and I still try to keep in touch with them. Parties are pretty much every night, to me I didn't really see the hype, I feel like after freshman year you're kind of over the frat scene and more into the kickbacks, but thats just me. Very pretty campus and nice dorms except for Muse Hall(the dorm I stayed in) Muse was the largest dorm on campus with 13 floors 900 students and no AC and also the oldest dorm. Very social and fun I have to admit but very hard to get any work done in your room because it was always loud. But I don't regret staying in Muse because I met alot of people there (both good and bad people). People say you wont get a job after a degree at Radford but honestly if you get a good gpa, GET INVOLVED with campus activities, and do internships during undergraduate you'll be fine. Radford being a small school and having a small classroom size is more beneficial to most people's learning, because like I said before, you're able to form educational relationships with your professors which will help ALOT. Okay, now I need to address the people that have nothing positive to say about Radford and say that their going to transfer down the highway. If you think that you're going to transfer to VT and things are gonna be magically heaven you're wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love Tech, but these are just the facts. 9/10 if you went to Radford because you couldnt get into any other school then you're probably not going to do well at Tech. The professors here do not play. At all. No matter what major your in. You're going to find yourself working 10 times as hard and staying up double the amount of time just to pull a C average, trust me. Especially if you're in the engineering college. C's are A's to engineers.(I'm in engineering now) Professors won't respond to your emails and your professor wont even know you exist (how could they, they have 300 students in a CLASSROOM) So, you'll have to get used to that transition from Radford. Unlike most people, I'm not going to purposely bad mouth every thing about Radford just because I go to Tech now. I'm just giving you the reality.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018