StudentsReview :: The University of Virginia's College Wise - Comments and Student Experiences

College of William and Mary -- Williamsburg, VA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The University of Virginia's College Wise

If you are coming to this college to

Aug 30 2014Criminal
If you are coming to this college to party and have an awesome social life, go ahead and find another college. UVA Wise is a great school with awesome professors that are willing to work with you and help you learn. I have enjoyed classes and they are not the hardest to pass if you do your work. Although, this is not a college town and it really kills the whole "college" environment. After visiting other larger colleges I have really questioned if I wanted to come back. Unfortunately, as great as the college is for your education. You WILL find yourself bored on a good amount of weekends. The school has plenty of fun events but lets get real.. college is for partying not watching a movie and eating popcorn on a friday night in the student center.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A, Social Life: D-

Ok. I'm going to try and not sound

Jul 28 2011Education
Ok. I'm going to try and not sound like an admissions counselor who is trying to get students to come to their school... but I cannot say enough good things about this place. I just want to throw out there that I was a city/beach kid and have now lived in Wise for 6 years. No, I am not on the Van Wilder 7 year plan. I now work at UVa-Wise.

Location: Location can be viewed as a negative to some people. This isn't Radford or Blacksburg... we are in the deep mountains of Southwest Virginia. It takes an hour to get to an Old Navy or Best Buy and your classmates will dip or chew during a lecture. But the safety was huge for me. The crime around here compared to Norfolk, VA is really non existent. This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever lived and you will not find more genuine kind-hearted people anywhere else. After you visit UVa-Wise, you will begin to see that the other colleges you visited were... a little fake. Some of the little rich, "never had to work for anything" kids will complain that there is nothing to do here. But you find your own friends and you make your own fun.

Extracurricular Activities: Just want to say that Intramurals is a big deal at Wise. They definitely have the money to run a successful program.

Money: UVa-Wise has been ranked in the top ten schools for graduating with the least amount of debt.

Facilities: Things have changed since I've attended (2005-2008). Things have changed since the last review. Construction and renovations are almost complete and our facilities are unmatched against many Division II schools and lower Division I schools. I could go on and on... and some may have more negative experiences but they are in the minority when it comes to experiences at UVa-Wise. It's definitely a school you need to have on your list for a fall visit. Then you can make your own judgement.

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: C

I noticed that most of the reviews sounded

May 17 2014Chemistry
I noticed that most of the reviews sounded old, so I will give a more up to date review. The campus was founded in the 1950s so it is a newer campus. It has 2 freshman residence halls that are both community style, which I understand is unpleasant for some people. At first I was worried about the idea of a community bathroom but its actually not that bad, and it was kept really clean. I loved in McCarry which some people call McCrapy (even some of the faculty) because its one of the oldest buildings on campus, which also means it doesn't have air conditioning. The other freshman residence hall was just opened about 4 years ago and it has air conditioning and has a really modern look. Then there is two double room with containing bathroom residence halls both with AC and there really nice compared to most college dorm rooms. There is also two on campus apartments and and one resident hall suite (two bed rooms bath room and living room). Nearly all of the upper classmen residence halls are alcohol friendly if you and your roommate are over 21.There is also a new apartment complex within walking distance to the college thats opening this coming school year. The school is currently expanding there fitness center and is building a 6 story library, so the campus is expanding. We have a cafeteria who's food isn't too bad, then we also have a pizza place below the cafeteria, a coffee house in the library and a burger place and sub place in the student center. Campus life is full of things to do there's over 70 clubs and organizations which is a lot for a small school. Intramural sports is super popular, and if you win you get a T-shirt with your team name, and with certain sports are invited to play nationally against other colleges. There's only one club about 15 minutes away called the Fizz, but to get the real club life there about two hours away in Johnson City. There are a lot of off campus parties you can have fun at. All of your professors will know your name in about a week, and they will do anything to help you succeed in their classes. You will learn nearly all the students names, and some of the professors you've never had will probably learn your name. Overall once you go to UVA-Wise you will become family with everyone there.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015