StudentsReview :: The University of Virginia - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

The University of Virginia

I've known many people who have attended goodBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I've known many people who have attended good southern schools-Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Furman, Washington and Lee-and with few exceptions most were friendly, laid back, easy going and modest. The same can't be said about students at UVA. They are the most arrogant, egotistical jerks you'll ever have the misfortune of meeting. But I'll write about the academic aspects first. The University does have a well deserved reputation for highly rated programs and good career connections in the mid-atlantic and the south. Professors can be hit or miss just like any school, some good and some not so good. Until your third year classes can be large and impersonal, more like any run of the mill state university than one with the reputation of UVA. There also are good internship and study abroad opportunities. Charlottesville is a very nice town with lots to do but really no better than Chapel Hill or Oxford MS. Greek life dominates the social scene but it isn't quite the overwhelming presence it used to be. Students think way too highly of themselves. They'll tell you UVA is every bit as good as schools ranked far above it such as Duke or Princeton but far superior to schools ranked very close like William and Mary or the University of Richmond. People also exaggerate their attractiveness, most are average at best but think that dressing preppy automatically makes them much hotter than they really are. Any SEC school blows us away when it comes to looks. I also very much disliked students from the Richmond area. I would have thought they'd be friendly and nice with the southern hospitality thing but so many were arrogant and snooty, acting like they were some kind of southern aristocrats when really they just were solidly middle class to upper middle class like most of us. You can get a great education and have a good experience here but I wish I'd gone elsewhere.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
If you're "smart enough" to get accepted toSuper Brilliant
If you're "smart enough" to get accepted to UVA, PLEASE do yourself a favor and go somewhere else/better. It was the biggest mistake of my life and I regretted it from almost the moment I got there. There was nothing enjoyable about it, and all the alleged "prestige" and whatnot that I thought would come with a UVA degree not only weren't worth it, but basically don't exist!!! And it's bad enough that I hated the people I was around, the idiot professors who seemed to know less about the courses than I did, and the reputation that goes along with being an alum of being a stuck-up, blowhard who thinks they're superior to other people (which most 'Hoos do seem to believe), but for the amount of money it cost me/is still costing me, it's just not even remotely close to even being worth it. Unfortunately (for me), the fact that it DOES cost so much to go there compared to some other equally good if not superior schools that for some reason don't have as good a "reputation", is the ONLY reason I stuck it out and stayed there for all 4 years - so I could "get my money's worth" (which I never did.
Preparedness: D Reputation: F
I hate this place.AverageBiology
I hate this place. Do not come here if you want to make friends in ways other than partying. People at UVA are so focused on their career plans that they don't spend time getting to know many people. Throughout life I never had trouble having friends, but I feel like I have no friends at UVA (ok a few).

The coursework is also very challenging and many of the classes are large, so many tests are scantron based. I always do worse on multiple choice tests than written/essay/short answer tests, so this really harms me. I feel like the only thing going for me in the prospects of finding a job is UVA's name.To make matters worse, the housing and dining situations at UVA are not impressive. UVA housing is spread out far away from classes and the dining hall food is terrible. Please just go somewhere else while you have the chance.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014