StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Virginia - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

The University of Virginia

Aug 12 2013Architecture

Awesome, love it.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Innovation: B-

Let me start off by saying that UVA has outstanding acad

Aug 06 2012Political Science
Let me start off by saying that UVA has outstanding academics and really pushes students to think critically in all areas of learning. However, the majority of the time at UVA is not spent inside the classroom. It is necessary to go to professors for help as well as students.

The professors are extremely condescending and unapproachable. The deans are extremely rude and snooty, at least the ones that I have met. The students aren't much better either. It's like the people here come from a completely different world than I an used to. It is very cut throat here and not just in academics, socially too.

Unless you like drinking regularly or are involved in the religious clubs on grounds then you will have a hard time making friends. If you don't fit into some mold of what the ideal UVA student is then you will struggle.

For example, one time I was eating in one of the dining halls. I was wearing mid length shorts and another girl at a table beside me made a comment about the shorts that I was wearing. Her and her friends looked over at me and one of them laughed, while another replied "that's mean."

This past semester I took a computer programming class and my TA came to lab with an overwhelming smell of alcohol on his breathe.

My RA was horrible. She was super bosy and it wasn't even about rules. She was uptight and tried to boss everyone in my suite around.

This economics teacher I had last semester could barely answer any questions about the material.
The programming teacher I had last semester was a jerk and smartass.
My calculus teacher last semester didn't even know what was going to be on the test the day before we had to take the test.

My spanish teacher singled me out multiple times to translate things and asked no one else.
The majority of people here are rude and down right hateful. If you are a down to earth or nice person do not attend uva.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: F

The best college period!

Jul 19 2012Unknown
The best college period! I would never go anywhere else! Great students, faculty and staff, and campus!! Pretty girls, just a great place! Everybody needs to go to college their!!
4th Year Male -- Class 2012