StudentsReview :: Virginia Commonwealth University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Virginia Commonwealth University

I'm not a city person

Oct 20 2014Unknown
I'm not a city person. That being said I really love Richmond, there's so much to do you will never be bored if you're open to exploring and trying new things. I was afraid that VCU classes would be easy, boring, and wouldn't challenge me because it's not a top ranking school but I was pleasantly surprised by how perfect this school is academically for me. I feel like I am preparing well for grad school and know that VCU is on it's way up!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C
Oct 02 2014Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc

A really awesome fashion program.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+

This is from my perspective of my 2012-2013

Oct 11 2014Other
This is from my perspective of my 2012-2013 freshman school year. I've transferred to VCU since then. I took mostly gen ed's while I was there, with the exception of beginner programming, precalculus, and Information Technology.

Pros: Beautiful campus, beautiful scenery, beautiful during spring especially, fishing, great professor-to-student ratio. good nursing program, professors are competent and will work with you, cheapest state school in VA, close to Tech

Cons:
High school 2.0
Very depressing town full of obese people
A majority of the first year students are northern Virginian kids who only care about drinking and getting C grades. Greek life is huge here, and you are looked down at if you aren't apart.

Seriously, if you don't enjoy the party lifestyle, you will feel left out, but that is more a personal problem.

I couldn't tell you how many other freshman I met who were just not prepared to be adults.
In summary, a bunch of sluts and brain dead greek heads.
Also, Radford is in the process of repositioning themselves so there has been more police crackdown on parties and Quadfest.True story: The first time I partied was on Halloween and it got busted, and then I had to pay $400 in fees to the university.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016