StudentsReview :: Virginia Commonwealth University - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Virginia Commonwealth University

Oct 02 2014Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
A really awesome fashion program.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+
Sep 18 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
VCU is an outstanding university. There are many programs and opportunities for students to be involved with. In addition, the police force is #1 in the country.

It is up to the student to learn the material and ask questions. VCU is very demanding, but that is because it is very difficult to get into some of the programs. Go to school where you feel comfortable and connected. Try to be a leader and not someone that complains about the school. This is a great time in the life of VCU. Students should be proud to be a RAM.

Starting Job: Buyer Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+
Aug 26 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I think the thing about VCU is that it is whatever you want it to be. Everything at this school is in YOUR hands. You are in charge of your education. This isn't a daycare center, this is a place you go to learn and if you're not going to put 100% effort you will struggle and you will absolutely hate it here. I guarantee you that. I came in as a transfer student expecting to have the same success I always had and had quite a shock by struggling to manage C's and barely pass classes in my first semester. I'm put work on hold and have now stepped up to the plate and accepted the academic challenges VCU is going to offer me and I am happier than ever and learning so much. This school is preparing you for real life career experience. Someone isn't going to hold your hand, it's up to you. For any prospective Biology majors, I can tell you right now be ready for a challenge. There is no such thing as an easy biology class here and organic chemistry will weed most majors out. If you're pre-med then I suggest you really be prepared. It is so competitive here and I mean that. Many classes required can kill your GPA and once you get that mark on there your chances of getting into med school are almost gone. So be sure you are up for it. Honestly I've come to love VCU now. I've still got a love-hate relationship with Richmond, but I'm overall happy with my choice to come here. I'm a senior now and have been job-hunting for the past year and a half. I've got a good idea of what I will be doing thanks to VCU and the people here who have helped me. It's a big school, but you can make it home. Apply yourself, have the drive, and know what career you are going to pursue and stop at nothing until you reach that goal. It's worth mentioning VCU has one of the worst graduation rates in the state. Many will come here but not many will leave with a degree unless you put the work in. I can't stress that enough. Don't come here just because you want to slack off and not put in an effort because VCU isn't UV.a. or Virginia Tech. Oh and don't bother coming here if you're looking for a party life because there isn't much unless you've got connections or are in a frat/sorority. One more thing, Richmond is not some crime ridden hell hole. It's a city, yes and you have to be alert. But it's rare something will ever happen to you here. Especially on the VCU campus. I've never had any trouble and I don't know anyone who has. That's all I've got to say I suppose. We'd love to have you here! But know what you're getting into.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016