StudentsReview :: Virginia Commonwealth University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 11
Females 5
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.4
Research Quality B- (6.4)
Research Availability C+ (5.2)
Research Funding C- (4.2)
Graduate Politics B- (6.4)
Errand Runners B- (5.9)
Degree Completion B (7.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.3)
Sufficient Pay C (4.5)
Competitiveness C+ (5.3)
Education Quality C+ (5.6)
Faculty Accessibility B (6.7)
Useful Research B- (6.4)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.7)
Friendliness C+ (5.7)
Safety B- (6.0)
Campus Beauty C (4.6)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.5)
University Resource/spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B- (5.9)
Success-Understanding C+ (5.4)
Surrounding City B+ (8.1)
Social Life/Environment B- (6.3)
Research FundingC-
Surrounding CityB+

VCU's MHA program is highly competitive and brings

Jul 06 2011Other
VCU's MHA program is highly competitive and brings great value to its students. The major pluses of the program are (1)its required residency program that gives students unique hands-on experience at hospitals and health systems, (2)smaller class size that makes the learning experience more personalized, (3)high quality guest speakers who visit the class - during my time in the program we had the CEO's of HCA Health System and Sentara Health System come, and (4) expansive alumni network that is very active. The program is located in an older facility that is an historic landmark.

If you are planning on going to the

Apr 16 2011Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
If you are planning on going to the medical campus as a graduate student please consider first the programs they strongly promote (for example: traumatic brain injury, glial cell studies, drugs of abuse...). If your interests do not match that of the large group, expect to work in an island of research with very little help or insight other that what you can bring to the table yourself.Most of the reviews I see on the internet are for programs at the Monroe Park campus. I completed my undergrad degree there and agree with most of the reviews that the campus is a pleasant place to be. I currently work in a windowless cinderblock cube that hasn't been renovated since at least the 1980's. You can really see where VCU is putting there money, and it's not into the program in which I am enrolled. That being said, if you're interested in graduate programs offered at the MCV campus - you need to evaluate them on a program by program basis. It is much more of a feudal system than is undergraduate education at VCU and some departments appear to run things quite well while others do not.

They are torturing international students with no mercy

Nov 30 2010Accounting
They are torturing international students with no mercy. All what they need is our out-of-state money. I was assaulted inside my office, my research work was abused + endless bullying with overall control on our future. Lots of threatening words regarding our future career and academic performance to harass and stop us from talking.

IT SUCKS!!HOW COME THIS SCHOOL IS ACCREDITED!!!!!

Jul 07 2010Business - Management and Administration

Excellent MBA program

The problem in the finance masters program is

Feb 15 2009Finance
The problem in the finance masters program is that many of its classes are taught to the mbas at the same time- that is a beginner level for most of them. Some of my "masters" level courses covered less ground than my finance courses in undergrad. In part because they at least were geared toward people with an interest in finance. Some of these mba's were music students before their mba.

I have been enrolled at VCU as a

Feb 13 2006History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I have been enrolled at VCU as a graduate student for 2 years. I was accepted as TA- meaning i was actually paid to attend vcu based on my grades, work experience, and recomendations. I am completely unsatisfied with VCU and specifically the history department and its faculty. The faculty take no interest in students or TAs. They are arrogent and condescending. There is nothing harder at VCU than trying to contact a teacher or get advice from a faculty member. Incomplete answers are common, and explanations are nonexistent. Moreover, as of yet I have found NO help resources. Based on my experiences at VCU and specifically the history department and its students and faculty- I feel the university has nothing positive to offer. Double standards are common--- for example, i was told to pass students who could not write in complete sentences with As and Bs -- the same grades competent students were receiving. Teachers passed students for no apparent reason...meaning these people, who cannot write in complete sentences, will receive college degrees and potentially compete against well educated students, who had to do much more than write sentence fragments to graduate. I can't recommend any part of VCU academic life or social life in good conciousness.Moreover, I have found no way to voice my opinions and experiences to the college president or administration.

Duke University -- Durham, NC