This school has a lot of problems:
01. Its impoverished, but yet VERY expensive!
02. Its accreditation is provisional
03. It may be closing, despite repeated adm. denials
04. Student enrollment has plummeted to about 750 from 1500
05. Departments are shutting down and majors eliminated
06. Buildings are very hot, old, and falling apart
07. Some parts of buildings are actually condemned
08. School is located in the Public Housing sector
09. ALL equipment is old and run down
10. Drug crime is rampant on the Virginia side
11. There's nothing to do on campus at night
12. Campus is like a ghost town on weekends
13. Professors are (rightly) worried about job security
14. Too much uncertainty
15. $30000 a year, but many athletes pay almost nothing.
16. Cafeteria is low quality, bland, and yet EXPENSIVE!!!
17. Internet is sLowww.
18. Theater Productions are low quality and low talent
19. Science Dept is really [insert curse adverb here].
20. Dorm rooms DO NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING
21. Showers and bathrooms are VERY nasty.
There is not much good to say about this place. AND heaven help if you ever need help from the various school staff and administration. With them you will laziness, ineptitude, and complacency that will make you sick with anger.
Some people claim thet they are trying to turn the place around, and they have managed to secure some money from their alumni, but many of the issues listed above that are able to be addressed by the school have not been done, nor do I believe that they will they ever be.
I have attended this college for two years. With my first major having been eliminated and now my second major being demoted to an associate?s degree I can no longer justify the time and expense of attending and will be moving on.
I was not a high academic student in fact most colleges would not accept me. VIC did. I figured that if they would take a chance on me then I should do the same. I probably should have shopped around a little more. Funny thing, I visited this school back in 1997, it was not much to look at then either.
Flash forward to today, and it's appalling how much WORSE it has become, but given what I know about the way this school is being run, it figures.
Please don't attend school. I mean this with all sincerity. It needs to shut down. Sure, some of the professors are friendly and the TN side of Bristol is kind of nice, but know that this school should probably have shut its doors sometime in the late 1980's. Apparently the 1970's were the pinnacle time of these schools' success and enrollment. The long defunct Sullins Academy which sits a few blocks away was also an old school that began to fade away. However they had the good sense to gracefully exit, rather than fight an embarrassingly humiliating losing battle. VIC is in its death throes now. It really is. Don't go there.
VIC simply cannot compete with ETSU, Radford, and King College. The mere fact they charge over $30,000 to attend classes in ramshackle buildings located in a drug and crime infested low income housing zone should tell you that the VIC is not going to be around much longer. Do not go to this school. It's not worth the money.