Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences|
1) School Spirit: There is nothing like a Hokie Football game. Everyone dresses up in Maroon and Orange and the entire place shuts down and gets together for the game. Jumping up and down to enter Sandman will change your lifeeee.
2) The People. Are you LGBTQ? A firey pentacostal Christain, a total space nerd, an insane marathon runner. VT has any club under the sun. There are litterally thousands of clubs. Whatever people you want, you will find at VT.
3) The party scene. Note that it is not safe to go out alone. College students do stupid things drunk. However, if you bring along your girls, you will have a good time.
4) The weekend in general. Because there are loads and loads of clubs, there is loads to do on weekends. Marathon runs, football games, soccer games, swing dancing, aCapella groups, campus ministries... I miss it so much.
5) The academics. This school is really hard. Even the gen eds require a really good mind. Be prepared to work your butt off. However, work hard, play hard!
1) IT IS NOT SAFE TO PARTY ALONE. It should be a no brainer but it is not to some freshmen women. DO NOT GO OUT ALONE. IT IS NOT SAFE.
2) Heavy work load. I had some engineer friends who never went to bed before 4 am because they had so much work. However, that totally depends on what major you choose. All in all, it is an amazing school. LETS GO HOKIES!!!!
Food: Amazing. Expect to gain weight. I put on at least the freshman 15 and another 5 from the beer. I believe we keep going back and forth between number one and number two for best campus food (stupid JMU).
People: Are there a ton of middle class white people here? Of course, it's a Virginia State college. That is to be expected. However, there are still people for everyone. You want to get smashed 4 nights a week? No problem. Those people exist. You want to engage in a vibrant pentecostal Christian community? They got that. You love the LGBTQ. They have that too. There is something and someone for everyone.
Campus: Beautiful in the Fall. BUTT COLD in the winter. At least 10-15 degrees colder than NORTHERN VA because of the mountains/windchill. BRING LAYERS UPON LAYERS for the spring semester.
Clubs: Like I said, there is something for everyone. Gobble Fest literally fills 50 acres or so full of booths with different clubs. Swing dance, christian clubs, archery, running, biking, underwater basket weaving... whatever you want they have. And if they don't have it, you can start one up easily on your own!
The night life: Don't be an idiot and go out alone if you're a girl. It is safe for the most part but there are definitely instances of date rape that occur about once a month. If you go with friends, you will be fine and you will have a blast.
Christian community: The christian community is incredible! You have to seek it out though. There's FCA, Intervarsity, RUF, Chi Alpha, Young life and literally 20 plus more campus ministries. I met some of my best friends there.
Work: THIS SCHOOL IS NOT A JOKE. Go to class, meet regularly with your professors, do your work, study and you should at least do OK. It's hard. And i was just an English major ;)
SUM UP: You plug into good community, then this school will be some of the most amazing 4 years of your life. I miss it. Let's go Hokies!
Are you a student and about to sign the very first lease in your li... more→