StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Dec 05 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you're black (African/American), expect racism. If I were you I would go to an open minded school like VCU or George Mason where there is real diversity Or an HBCU for that matter. 3% black population is just not enough and I get why this schools AA population has been declining. I'm telling you! It's difficult to build a community that supports each other with 3% of the students being black. We're very scattered. You're going to feel very much like a dot on a white paper. Out of place in most of your classes. It's hard to make friends here also because I think half the students have a lot of prejudice without even knowing you. I've been very depressed my entire stay here. I went from being a straight A student to barely passing my classes. At first I thought there was something wrong with me but It's just this horrid school. If you're a black parent reading this review, Please don't send your child here. It's better for a student to be at a place they feel welcomed and happy rather than a big school with a good name in the middle of nowhere that also has racial pressure. This is not a party school. There is little social life. The cops shut down parties, even though we're in the middle of nowhere and there is literally nothing else to do. There are several stories of cops racially profiling students, but that's probably at every school. While I was on campus, I saw three confederate flags in the dorm room of students (those are just the ones I saw, I can only imagine how many more there are). I don't want to infringe upon their right to hang those flags up high as they want in their room but that pretty much lets you know what their mindset is around here. Also don't get too excited about the sports here... We've had a terrible football and basketball program since I was a freshman and I'm about to graduate this winter. Hokies got great school spirit and food though. If you're into school spirit and food, this is the school for you.
4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, University Resource Use: F
Nov 13 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
VT is a great school where I made life long friends. It is a huge school so it was easy to find activities, research opportunities, meet people, etc. Most classes were challenging and stimulating. Although the school is large, I felt like it was easy to meet with a professor if I needed.
Starting Job: Physician Assistant Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+
Sep 09 2014Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Tech is a huge school. I am encouraging my son to attend a smaller school with smaller classes and a tighter college community.
Starting Job: Sales Associate Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F