StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Do not go into Engineering at VT

Jan 09 2014Electrical Engineering
Do not go into Engineering at VT. The professors do not care if you understand anything. Some professors in intro classes state at the beginning of class that they know that you may never have taken the class before like programming, but they will teach the course as if you have. They just expect you to learn it on your own or fail the class. Go somewhere where they care about undergraduate engineers. Otherwise you will end up with a low GPA and they will fail you out of school and you will not be able to get a degree anywhere.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

Virginia Tech has been a great experience in

Dec 05 2013Undecided
Virginia Tech has been a great experience in helping me figure out my desire major: Political Science. However this school has many problems, with spending going towards unnesecary things such as a 5 million $ band practice facility, a multi million dollar practice facility, cutting its Pre-Law program, liberal arts spending cuts, and lack of library funding. It makes you wonder what the university's priorities really are. It is evident by the glaring culture problem on campus, and the university prides itself more on athletics rather than the improvement of its academic programs. The students unless you are from northern Virginia are very close minded and you will be an outcast if you are not from the area (make friends with out of staters). The professors however are fantastic and are the only reason why I will return next semester, seriously top notch and are always available to help and truly care about their students. However, the advising is awful, the worst they truly do not care about you at all. Math courses are another thing, you need to take a bus ride off campus to complete exams and if you want to see the professor for help. Seriosuly they are building a multi million dollar football practice facility that they do not need, but I still need to take a bus off campus for math. Priorities? If you are here for business or engineering, stay, you will receive a great education. If you are here for liberal arts and want to go to law school it is probably in your best interests to transfer out.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

I am coming up on my last semester

Dec 29 2013Mechanical Engineering
I am coming up on my last semester at VT and I can honestly say these were the best four years of my life, I wish I could stay a fifth. Prospective students, this school is what you make of it. There are so many clubs and organizations to join, you just have to take the time to seek them out. The people who have enjoyed their time at VT were the ones who were most involved in extracurricular activities.

I am a mechanical engineer graduating in May 2014 and found a job in October. I also have many friends who have multiple job offers in the fall semester. VT serves up companies on a silver platter, but again, you have to go out and put your name out there. Those who struggle to get jobs are the people who aren't putting in the effort for the job hunt. Career services equips you with all the tools you need to get a job.

I will say that there were many times I felt overwhelmed by school work, but somehow found a way to get it done. I believe that is part of VT's mission for its students. They find your limits and push them just to show you how capable you really are, which is why companies love hiring VT grads, they know we like the challenge. I would say just about every engineering major would agree with this statement. Other majors, sorry, I can't provide much insight other than that you'll have a lot more free time than I did. Bottom line: great school, awesome people, great faculty. Football is a way of life, we take that pretty seriously. The opportunities are endless, you just have to go after them. If you do that, you'll love this school just as much as I do. Hope this helps.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014