StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Deciding to go to tech was the best

Jul 04 2011Math
Deciding to go to tech was the best decision I ever made, but the school is not for everyone. I had to really make an effort to make friends coming from out of state. If you are not a heavy Party-er or a Christian, you might not fit in so well. Freshman level classes and core curriculum are mostly large lectures, but all of my in major classes were taught by excellent professors in classrooms smaller than 30.
4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: B+

I have had the worst few years of

May 09 2011Geography and Geosciences
I have had the worst few years of my life at VT, from the moment I walked onto campus I felt unwelcome, but attended to satisfy my family and others expectations. Advisors never answer emails, or attend office hours. They work with each other and make it near impossible to conduct research on a student-professor relationship. Advisors are too busy to take time to listen without injecting their obnoxious unprofessional opinions. All I've done since I've been here is busywork and forced socialization with other students. I want my time and money back. I've wasted so much valuable time trying to learn, but have had no success in connecting with my teachers. Tuition is way too high for a degree I have no chance of getting a job with. I've tried so many times to get involved on campus, but organizations are like cliques and its hard to learn in classrooms with 200 other students. You may think your outgoing, but when your in a classroom with 280 students its impossible to ask a question without someone mocking or talking over you because there bored or gossiping. Please let my mistake be your example. There are great schools out there that will help you in your venture to learn, your hopes to research. Consider your other choices carefully.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Education Quality: F

As an out-of-state student I was definitely nervous

Jul 13 2011Biology
As an out-of-state student I was definitely nervous about attending Virginia Tech. However, the transition was a lot easier than I expected it to be! My first semester was one of the hardest times of my life because my original roommate and I did not get along very well and I was also very sick for a lot of it and the classwork was a lot more difficult than anything I'd ever had before. At a couple points I even considered transferring, but looking back on it now I couldn't be happier that I didn't. Somehow between being sick and dealing with my roommate I fell in love with VT. Everyone there (minus said roommate) was super nice and friendly to me and I have made so many wonderful friends. The school spirit at VT is contagious and one of my favorite things about it. Everyone who's there *wants* to be there and the feeling is so fantastic. Yes, the classes are challenging but I like knowing that I'm definitely learning something. I know that I'm being well prepared for my future. In short I think that VT is a really great school and that before you consider transferring you should at least stay the year. You'll be glad you did :-).If you do have any questions I would be more than happy to reply to them, I know I was very anxious before I attended college and I would love it if I could help someone!
1st Year Female -- Class 2014