StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Dec 13 2003Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Virginia Tech is not diverse. Students that would prefer to attend a multicultural university should not attend Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech is majority white, and will stay majority white, since the Board of Vistors is cutting diversity and minority programs. Virginia Tech offers a good variety of majors. There are many interesting majors, but some have unfamiliar titles. I would recommend all students considering VT to research the variety of majors. The university offers a lot of good resources, such as free tutoring, counseling services, free bus service, two gyms, good dining halls, numerous places to study and use a computer.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2004
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D
Dec 08 2003Computer Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Va Tech is a huge school in a lush and beautiful area. If you like rolling hills, mountains, this is definitely the place for you. If you like drinking, partying, and random sex, again this place is for you. For all you perspective engineers, if you are not a genius, drop out and go to business or architecture. You can't compete and you will have a miserable time trying to keep up. Do yourself a favor and choose an easy major that will pass the time, College is for character building, not suicide.
Starting Job: Computer Engineer Preparedness: B- Reputation: C
Dec 05 2003Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I think that Virginia Tech was an awesome place to go to school, now that doesn't mean it was fun and awesome all the time, but even when I was at my most low, there was still a positive lesson to be gained from your friends that I surrounded myself with. At first, I didn't want to go to VT becuase I thought it was small and a hick-town and that everyone there would be dumb in-bred, and I was right about the first two, but the students there are not anything like I envisioned! I made some great friends there and had a wonderful living arrangement and was very comfortable staying at VT and felt like I owned the place by graduation, and that's why I'd choose it again for undergraduate education if given the opportunity. College is what you do in it and what you make of it, I believe you can get the tools you need at any school, but you have to actively pursue traits that will help you upon graduation. (However, I would not recomend the career center, it was a little bit of a let down when attending job fairs yeilded no positive results for me...) OH! And don't be afraid to switch majors if your sucking in the first one you try! I was a chem major but I was awful, once I found psychology I couldn't be happier to go to class everyday!
Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+