StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

VA Tech was an excellent school that well

Mar 26 2011Business - Management and Administration
VA Tech was an excellent school that well prepared me for the working world despite the fact that I was a "late bloomer" in terms of maturity. By graduation, I was ready to get serious about life and I was academically prepared. I would advise students to choose a field that fits their personality, interests, and skills. Doing what you love to do gives the best chances of success. Learn how to think, write, and get along with people. Take time to "smell the roses" as life goes by, as it will quickly do. Keep a balance between work, fun, and family.
Starting Job: Bank Branch Manager Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B

where to start

Mar 27 2011Other
where to start...
ACADEMICS: If you care about your education in any way shape or form and you aren't planning on going into engineering or architecture..Don't come here!!! I'm a Spanish major and I feel like the VT Spanish program is literally rotting my brain. I was taking more valuable courses Sophomore year in high school. Worse, finding peers who actually care about their education and issues/topics that go beyond Tech and Blacksburg is near impossible.

CAMPUS: one word to describe the campus and the weather--grey. There is literally a cloud that sits on top of Blacksburg at all times. Just when you think its sunny, it will snow and rain 5 minutes later. the weather is AWFUL. summer is hot as hell with no AC. winters are terrible. As for campus, the grey buildings are depressing. Blacksburg is a horrible city with absolutely nothing to offer.

STUDENT BODY: Tech students have a major inferiority complex. they know it sucks, so they go all out with the spirit and pride to fool everyone else, and themselves, into thinking its great. Most of them did just well enough in high school to get in to tech, and have since stopped caring.

If you do come to tech, you can throw away every article of clothing you own except tech shirts and blue jeans--that's all you will need to fit in. and fitting in (aka being a boring hyper-normal human being) is very very important. The parties are awful. i mean really, really awful. You just have to get so drunk that you forget you're not actually doing anything..the majority of people who LOVEEE tech parties never partied in high school and have no idea what they are missing out on.

individuality at tech is non-existent. students are members of HOKIE NATION (whatever the hell that means) but are basically forced into this weird narcissistic, propaganda filled group-think mentality.

I cannot wait to leave this god forsaken place.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

I've been at Virginia Tech for 4 years

Nov 22 2010Computer Science
I've been at Virginia Tech for 4 years switching from general studies to computer engineering then to computer science last year. While VT has a great reputation as an engineering program, I've found it difficult to complete courses there. I know it would seem insane to switch from a reputable program but I'm about to consider it. I only have 40 credits left but it's whatever gets me the degree in the end.

This past year I've done better in CS than I have in computer engineering but this semester, I had terrible professors yet again and found it impossible to do the projects for those classes. TA's were bad this semester and they usually are for most CS courses and half are from foreign countries and just couldn't explain stuff to me when I went for help. They have no tutoring support anywhere with the exception in the math department since I asked the CS department for tutoring info and they said sorry and I'd have to advertise on my own (don't have time for that). Also even though I only have 35ish credits left, the pre-req courses which have terrible professors won't allow me to graduate until 2012 on my current track.

Also the students in CS have been more closed minded and kept to themselves which made it impossible to form study/homework groups which are almost essential to survive.

I also have ADD which impacts my learning and I've always learned best by tutoring (if I need it) and hands on type practice like labs and such that most High Schools provided. Accomodations suck for courses and like 3 or 4 professors had a hard time giving me them even if it's a legal right.

The courses I took since I've been here are very (sink or swim) type. You either know the material prior to the course or you don't and most students have to find a way to beat the system (homework/study groups) to get through the course. Otherwise you find yourself out of the loop and on your own which makes it extremely hard to get by.

3/4 professors I had were very uncaring (research focused with big egos) and seemed to have pleasure out of failing students and making projects/exams impossible to do and prepare for and would curve the class most of the time. I like to be challenged but if I can't learn from them and have to teach myself all the time to do the challenging work I find it hard to be successful in the courses. I guess its like that at a lot of large research schools. I'll have to repeat 1 or 2 courses yet again this Spring after a year of not having to repeat a course.

However sometimes I will get a great class and a good professor which is why I'm so split on switching especially this late in my degree. I'll probably suck it up and stay and finish but if I have to repeat courses again because professors don't know how to teach or a GA teaches the course, I may have no choice but to switch to some other school because I need to finish college someday.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012