StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

VA Tech was an excellent school that well

Mar 26 2011Business - Management and Administration
VA Tech was an excellent school that well prepared me for the working world despite the fact that I was a "late bloomer" in terms of maturity. By graduation, I was ready to get serious about life and I was academically prepared. I would advise students to choose a field that fits their personality, interests, and skills. Doing what you love to do gives the best chances of success. Learn how to think, write, and get along with people. Take time to "smell the roses" as life goes by, as it will quickly do. Keep a balance between work, fun, and family.
Starting Job: Bank Branch Manager Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B

This place is wonderful

Nov 05 2010Physics
This place is wonderful. The campus is beautiful. The people are friendly. A good number of the departments here are very, very respectable.

There are a lot of students here, but it almost never feels like it. The campus is designed so all the dorms are in the same area, so I see people I've met almost every day.

If you like house parties, nature, and the mountains, come here. I LOVE it here, but if you're the type of person who wants an intense bar/club scene, VT is not for you. The house parties here are good, and some of them can get pretty huge, but there is no city life here. Downtown is small with a few bars and a ton of restaurants.

The physics program is definitely respectable. The lab equipment and lecture halls are very nice, the professors are very respectable doctors who are always willing to help. The talk that the physics program here is not accredited is a complete myth.

There truly is a sense of home here. I never feel alone because of how well the sense of community is created here despite having 23,000 undergrad students here.

It may be relatively easy to get into VT, but do not underestimate how smart a lot of people are here. Engineers and architects are put through seriously intense work to get their degrees. For every person you find who seems like a moron, there is someone whom you ask why they went here over an Ivy League school. I would never go anywhere else.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Friendliness: A+, Surrounding City: B-

I've been at Virginia Tech for 4 years

Nov 22 2010Computer Science
I've been at Virginia Tech for 4 years switching from general studies to computer engineering then to computer science last year. While VT has a great reputation as an engineering program, I've found it difficult to complete courses there. I know it would seem insane to switch from a reputable program but I'm about to consider it. I only have 40 credits left but it's whatever gets me the degree in the end.

This past year I've done better in CS than I have in computer engineering but this semester, I had terrible professors yet again and found it impossible to do the projects for those classes. TA's were bad this semester and they usually are for most CS courses and half are from foreign countries and just couldn't explain stuff to me when I went for help. They have no tutoring support anywhere with the exception in the math department since I asked the CS department for tutoring info and they said sorry and I'd have to advertise on my own (don't have time for that). Also even though I only have 35ish credits left, the pre-req courses which have terrible professors won't allow me to graduate until 2012 on my current track.

Also the students in CS have been more closed minded and kept to themselves which made it impossible to form study/homework groups which are almost essential to survive.

I also have ADD which impacts my learning and I've always learned best by tutoring (if I need it) and hands on type practice like labs and such that most High Schools provided. Accomodations suck for courses and like 3 or 4 professors had a hard time giving me them even if it's a legal right.

The courses I took since I've been here are very (sink or swim) type. You either know the material prior to the course or you don't and most students have to find a way to beat the system (homework/study groups) to get through the course. Otherwise you find yourself out of the loop and on your own which makes it extremely hard to get by.

3/4 professors I had were very uncaring (research focused with big egos) and seemed to have pleasure out of failing students and making projects/exams impossible to do and prepare for and would curve the class most of the time. I like to be challenged but if I can't learn from them and have to teach myself all the time to do the challenging work I find it hard to be successful in the courses. I guess its like that at a lot of large research schools. I'll have to repeat 1 or 2 courses yet again this Spring after a year of not having to repeat a course.

However sometimes I will get a great class and a good professor which is why I'm so split on switching especially this late in my degree. I'll probably suck it up and stay and finish but if I have to repeat courses again because professors don't know how to teach or a GA teaches the course, I may have no choice but to switch to some other school because I need to finish college someday.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012