StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I have had the worst few years ofQuite BrightGeography and Geosciences
I have had the worst few years of my life at VT, from the moment I walked onto campus I felt unwelcome, but attended to satisfy my family and others expectations. Advisors never answer emails, or attend office hours. They work with each other and make it near impossible to conduct research on a student-professor relationship. Advisors are too busy to take time to listen without injecting their obnoxious unprofessional opinions. All I've done since I've been here is busywork and forced socialization with other students. I want my time and money back. I've wasted so much valuable time trying to learn, but have had no success in connecting with my teachers. Tuition is way too high for a degree I have no chance of getting a job with. I've tried so many times to get involved on campus, but organizations are like cliques and its hard to learn in classrooms with 200 other students. You may think your outgoing, but when your in a classroom with 280 students its impossible to ask a question without someone mocking or talking over you because there bored or gossiping. Please let my mistake be your example. There are great schools out there that will help you in your venture to learn, your hopes to research. Consider your other choices carefully.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Education Quality: F
I came to VT in the University StudiesSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I came to VT in the University Studies program and spent much of my first year in the program before switching to Chemistry and then quickly into History. I found that my first year classes were a big step up from high school classes and the large class sizes are something that is challenging to get used to. I found that in almost all cases, if you approached faculty members, they were some of the nicest, genuine, and most helpful people that I have ever met. That being said, the burden of seeking help and faculty interaction is entirely on you. Faculty will not seek you out to see if you need help so you can get lost.

Academic work at VT is quite challenging and you can expect to spend a lot of time studying and working on assignments. You have to be self-motivated or your time at VT will be short. If you don't like to work hard, there are a lot of easier schools and easier programs.

Even though I was never in the College of Engineering, the problem-solving focus is apparent in almost all classes and did a lot to shape a very analytical mind. Although most of my coursework was in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, I don't believe that VT represents a true liberal arts experience. If you want that experience, go to a true liberal arts college. That being said, I couldn't ask to gain more from my undergraduate degree. I left VT with strong reasoning, writing, and analytical skills as well as a strong ability to find and piece together information.

It is hard to go to VT and not have school pride. School colors are everywhere, especially on gamedays! Most students spend their weekends on campus or in town. Social life is good, though it does focus on the bars and athletics. I found the culture and arts to be somewhat lacking though.VT will be the experience that you make it. If you are prepared to work hard and ask for help if you need it, the education that you get will be second to none. If that doesn't describe you, you might have a better experience someplace else.

Starting Job: Residence Hall Coordinator; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
where to start.Quite BrightOther
where to start...
ACADEMICS: If you care about your education in any way shape or form and you aren't planning on going into engineering or architecture..Don't come here!!! I'm a Spanish major and I feel like the VT Spanish program is literally rotting my brain. I was taking more valuable courses Sophomore year in high school. Worse, finding peers who actually care about their education and issues/topics that go beyond Tech and Blacksburg is near impossible.

CAMPUS: one word to describe the campus and the weather--grey. There is literally a cloud that sits on top of Blacksburg at all times. Just when you think its sunny, it will snow and rain 5 minutes later. the weather is AWFUL. summer is hot as hell with no AC. winters are terrible. As for campus, the grey buildings are depressing. Blacksburg is a horrible city with absolutely nothing to offer.

STUDENT BODY: Tech students have a major inferiority complex. they know it sucks, so they go all out with the spirit and pride to fool everyone else, and themselves, into thinking its great. Most of them did just well enough in high school to get in to tech, and have since stopped caring.

If you do come to tech, you can throw away every article of clothing you own except tech shirts and blue jeans--that's all you will need to fit in. and fitting in (aka being a boring hyper-normal human being) is very very important. The parties are awful. i mean really, really awful. You just have to get so drunk that you forget you're not actually doing anything..the majority of people who LOVEEE tech parties never partied in high school and have no idea what they are missing out on.

individuality at tech is non-existent. students are members of HOKIE NATION (whatever the hell that means) but are basically forced into this weird narcissistic, propaganda filled group-think mentality.

I cannot wait to leave this god forsaken place.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→