StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I think the Virginia Tech experience speaks for

Feb 11 2008Geography and Geosciences
I think the Virginia Tech experience speaks for itself. One thing I'll point out in addition is that while interviewing for my first big job after Virgina Tech in Texas, the interviewer asked me "Do you know why you're here?". I answered and he said, "No, you're here because you went to Virginia Tech and..."
Starting Job: Acquisition Geophysicist Preparedness: B Reputation: A

I really love this SCHOOL! I am so

Aug 29 2008Business - Management and Administration
I really love this SCHOOL! I am so glad I chose Virginia Tech. I know my friends back home in NY are jealous that their schools are not as fun and beautiful. The food is unbelievable. The friends I have made are incredible. All the students are extremely friendly, more than nice, and so approachable. I was a bit shy in high school and the people here have made me part of their families. I don't consider myself shy anymore. I LOVE going to football games or watching them with my friends in their rooms. Even the upper classmen are cool and willing to hang out with freshmen. If you want to go to a college that offers it ALL then come to Virginia Tech. The WORLD (not just the USA) respects and knows the Hokie spirit!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-

I am from out of state and came

Mar 21 2010Finance
I am from out of state and came to Tech knowing no one! Coming to Tech has been the best decision of my life! Many of the negative comment say it is because of the people. Every school has a mixture of people particularly Tech. There is someone for everyone at this school.

- If you like sports (if you don't you will by the end of freshman year)this is the school for you. We literally bleed maroon and orange. I doubt there is a single person on this campus that doesn't own a Tech shirt!

- There is every club you can possibly imagine. We even have a skydiving club! If you can't find the one you want you can start very easily with 6 people!

- Yeah the town has no shopping and downtown is small, but we have several great restaurants Christiansburg is only 5 minutes away for the bigger stores and chain restaurants. As tiny as it is it grows on you!

- Parking- it sucks. They are building a parking garage which is going to make things soooo much better! Until then you stalk people in parking lots for their spots, but freshmen at least you can have a car!

- Faculty- There is such a mix. The general core classes professors aren't very good, but as you move into your major classes they are awesome! No you wont get one on one attention in lecture. All you have to do is go to their office hours. You would be surprised how much that could effect that last point to get you a plus instead of a minus in that class.

- Safety- I have never once felt unsafe. What happened here could have happened everywhere. We are probably one of the most safe schools because of the precautions the school has taken.

- Food- the food is awesome!!!!!! Come eat at West End once and you will never want to leave!I love VT and the Hokies!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012