StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA
James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Apr 16 2014Other

Love Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Starting Job: Paralegal Preparedness: B Reputation: A

I spent the first 3 years as an

Jan 12 2013Psychology
I spent the first 3 years as an animal science major, and i have to say those first 2 years were the hardest years i've ever been through (academic wise). HOWEVER, my junior year i transferred to psychology and it was worlds better. The psych department is fantastic, the professors are all really friendly and relaxed, its the area courses that really get you. i was also a disability student and the office for students with disabilities are extremely helpful!

I will agree with the negative commenters that the majority of people here are Greek life obsessed close minded white people, so minority students BEWARE; you will encounter lots of insensitivity and some not so blatant forms of racism. But i i will say that there are students not like that, i found an amazing group of friends who are driven, open-minded, sincere and creative, those pople do exists on campus. overall i would say, do your research. i did not know this school was out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains, but it is an extremely beautiful campus with lots of outdoor activities when it is warm. I am by no means a country girl at all, and it was an adjustment, after my first year i fell in love with being here and it really does grow on you.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Innovation: B-

I am coming up on my last semester

Dec 29 2013Mechanical Engineering
I am coming up on my last semester at VT and I can honestly say these were the best four years of my life, I wish I could stay a fifth. Prospective students, this school is what you make of it. There are so many clubs and organizations to join, you just have to take the time to seek them out. The people who have enjoyed their time at VT were the ones who were most involved in extracurricular activities.

I am a mechanical engineer graduating in May 2014 and found a job in October. I also have many friends who have multiple job offers in the fall semester. VT serves up companies on a silver platter, but again, you have to go out and put your name out there. Those who struggle to get jobs are the people who aren't putting in the effort for the job hunt. Career services equips you with all the tools you need to get a job.

I will say that there were many times I felt overwhelmed by school work, but somehow found a way to get it done. I believe that is part of VT's mission for its students. They find your limits and push them just to show you how capable you really are, which is why companies love hiring VT grads, they know we like the challenge. I would say just about every engineering major would agree with this statement. Other majors, sorry, I can't provide much insight other than that you'll have a lot more free time than I did. Bottom line: great school, awesome people, great faculty. Football is a way of life, we take that pretty seriously. The opportunities are endless, you just have to go after them. If you do that, you'll love this school just as much as I do. Hope this helps.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014