StudentsReview :: Washington and Lee University - Comments and Student Experiences

Washington and Lee University

I went to Washington & Lee a long

Sep 14 2011Other
I went to Washington & Lee a long time ago. I am not sure if I would recommend it. The students are of a higher caliber than the teaching staff. Right now, it is an extremely expensive school ($50K) and it does not have a significant reputation. I would not recommend it. If you plan on majoring in business or political science, and you are more interested in the campus than the quality of instruction, then W&L is not a bad place.
Starting Job: Legal Assistant Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F
May 08 2006Unknown

if you want a life other than frats and sororities, then think again. there is nothing to do besides drink around a bon-fire

1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

For me, Washington & Lee was more damaging

Apr 17 2011Language - French/Spanish/etc.
For me, Washington & Lee was more damaging than helpful. With few exceptions, I would recommend against going to W&L. Keep in mind that once you go, you cannot transfer out.

If you earn a degree from there, you will need to get a graduate degree to get some recognition. The reputation is always expressed in terms of a good "small, liberal arts college." Without that qualifier, it cannot compete.

In the 1980s, I found it to be an odd school. It was both small, exceedingly impersonal, and clique-ish. The professors and the administration were not particularly interested in teaching or communicating with students. The class size was small, but that does not mean the professors took a personal interest in their work. They did not.

The school had limited resources. To describe it as a university rather than a college is a stretch. I think most students would find it academically limited. The Commerce School was more a vocational school. It did not have the resources for anyone interested in accounting or finance. The sciences were weak, but that is acceptable. At W&L, you were either pre-med or you needed to get your degree elsewhere.

It is an odd place. It is also a lonely place.
In my opinion, it is not worth $35,000 a year.
My review may be out of date as well, but I would encourage students to seek out and ask W&L alumni from the late 70s and 80s. I would also ask more recent graduates, because, honestly, the school may have improved.

Starting Job: Legal Assistant Preparedness: F Reputation: D