StudentsReview :: Bennington College - Comments and Student Experiences

Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Oberlin College -- Oberlin, OH

I must say this college has changed aQuite BrightArt & Design Department
I must say this college has changed a lot since my freshman year. It has mellowed out a lot, and students seem to be more engrossed in their work than when I was a first-year. Socially, Bennington is really lacking, and I am so happy I have a group of friends that I have grown with these past 3 years. If I hadn't connected with anybody here, I would be miserable. The town sucks, so for people used to the city life, you will be in for a rude awakening, and I know a lot of people who have transfered because of it. No one is allowed to live off campus anymore, I do not like this at all. Of course you can live off campus, but you must pay the room and board fee anyway. Academically, you get what you put in. I've put in a lot, probably not as much as I could, but I have learned a lot about myself here. I've figured out what I am passionate about, and I enjoy my studies here. The faculty are great, not all of them, but you learn who it is you like and work best with, and you form relationships with them. Freshman year is the worst as far as classes go, registration blows, and typically classes that require no prerequisates are larger. I stuck it out, and now I have great classes, one of them only has 4 people in it! anway, enough is enough...you should consider your needs and think about it A LOT before coming here, you either end up loving it or hating it...or both.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2002
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: F
Bennington is not forEnglish
Bennington is not for everyone, that's why it's been so good for those of us who knew what we wanted. Bennington gave me a sense of community that I have never found elsewhere - to this day, I value the friendships I established during my time in Vermont above others.
Bennington College.BrightUndecided
Bennington College. Where do I start? I absolutely can't stand being here and would love to transfer. Let me try and explain why. Unless you value an extremely isolated environment with the lamest town in the world around you, self-absorbed pretentious hippies, a very 'white' homogenous campus and a lack of a wide range of courses in one discipline.. Do not come to Bennington college. If you need to have a life instead of being imprisoned on a really dull, boring campu, do not come here! The bennington conception of a party is a really lameass band playing music that is absolutely undanceable while drunk women attempt to dance to it.

The strengths of this college lie in the small, seminar style classes and the amazing accessibility of the professors and most importantly the freedom to design your own major. The size ensures individual attention and a first name basis with administrators.

The problem lies in the fact that the school has huge financial problems, the lousiest facilities(if any to begin with) and is very random in the selection of courses available. The saddest example falls in the Social sciences where they only have one teacher for politics, one for anthropology and two for history. Economics? Sociology? World History? Keep dreaming. The present professors plan to leave and that does not leave much choice for social science students.

Bennington can drive a student into serious depression because students here are extremely cliquish white rich kids who think it is cool to look poor and most of them were misfits in high school which is fine except that abnormality becomes too conventional here and students aren't really open to other viewpoints. Students are fairly apathetic politically and it is fashionable for the predominantly female student body to be bisexual. There are barely any straight men here, so if you're a woman, count on having absolutely no sex life for 4 years.

Classes are either really challenging or for absolute morons who need to repeat high school again.. so its all a question of luck.

In short, very few types of people enjoy or stay in Bennington and you absolutely must visit so that you don't end up making the biggest mistake of your life.

1st Year Female -- Class 2005