StudentsReview :: Bennington College - Comments and Student Experiences

Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Oberlin College -- Oberlin, OH

Bennington College

I love reading all of these snarky commentsPerfomance Arts
I love reading all of these snarky comments about how admission to Bennington leans heavily on your ability to contribute financially. I was accepted in 2008 and given an extremely generous financial package...however, my family was still not able to make it work given that they had taken into consideration things such as stocks/small inheritance amounts that my parents were technically not able to access to pay for my tuition even if they had wanted to. I remember my dad called the admissions office and basically said to Duncan Dobbelmann "Look, we just can't afford this" to which Duncan replied "Ok, we will make it work". And they did. And I was able to spend the most incredible four years of my life at Bennington. My point in all of this is that Bennington accepts students firstly based on who they are as a person, and what they as a student could potentially contribute academically and/or artistically. When I applied to Bennington it was a need-blind school, meaning that they accepted students without taking into consideration their potential financial contribution, or lack thereof. I'm sure there are exceptions to this here and there, but overall I found Bennington to be an extremely generous school in termsof financial aid, and do not perceive their admissions process to be influenced heavily by this factor at all.
Do not attend this ridiculous waste of timeQuite BrightAnthropology
Do not attend this ridiculous waste of time unless you have money to burn and aren't interested in using your college credits for anything else. My three years at Bennington are seared into my mind as some of the most terrifying and miserable of my life. The drug and alcohol abuse was surpassed only by the sheer unhelpfulness and at times, downright hostility, of the staff and many faculty members. I dropped out after my junior year because I simply couldn't bear the thought of going back. I had friends, so to speak, but no real friendships as nearly every activity revolved around getting wasted. Now, years later, I have 15 years as a small business owner and working professional under my belt but no formal degree. I'm currently applying to a (real) school and had my transcripts sent over. Despite the fact that I took many core subjects at Bennington, including math and science classes, and passed all of them, the number of credits my new school will accept is 3. You read that right: THREE credits. Hilariously, those three credits will fulfill my humanities elective, so I guess it's good I had to take Fundamentals of Acting freshman year--it's the only class any other school will honor. Do not go here. Do not send your child here. This school is a joke and a total waste of time and money, and you will not get a return on your investment. Worst of all, living and attending school on campus is remarkably depressing even for the most resilient of souls. Attend Bennington College at your own risk. Oh, and no one outside the snobby arts scenes has ever heard of the college, so don't buy into their advertising. You will forever be telling people where the school is and what famous people have gone there. Don't do it.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2002
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: F
This is a magical place - an enchantedQuite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This is a magical place - an enchanted portal to growth and opportunity for creative people who are multi-dimensional and self aware. Those who thrive here find their passions through exploring the possible - and sometimes imagining and creating what others might find impossible. We have the freedom to bring many diverse ideas and skills together in unique ways - navigating towards a future where we can make a real difference. This is not a hiding place for the pseudo-authentic non-conformist, nor is it a haven for confused or passive followers seeking a strong guiding hand. Those looking for someone to tell them what to think or provide a structure to follow are best served by making a choice other than Bennington. If you are the right person for this school, it can sculpt you into the best of who you can be - and perhaps for some it can be the catalyst destiny requires. For me, it is the best decision I could have made...and I am looking forward to learning, experiencing, and blooming even more in the months to come.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019