StudentsReview :: Champlain College - Comments and Student Experiences

Georgetown College -- Georgetown, KY
Endicott College -- Beverly, MA

Champlain College

This school is advertised as an accepting andAverageDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
This school is advertised as an accepting and tolerant college. This was definitely not the case in my situation. I have Asperger's and am somewhat socially awkward. The students in my dorm rejected me and half of my professors were completely belligerent when I requested help with accessing my group for group projects. Overall very depressing place unless you are "normal".
1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
I like my department professors and classes butBrightComputer Science
I like my department professors and classes but the core classes are ridiculous. It is basically two-fifths of all the classes you take at chaplain until senior year. You are required to take them and they are basically bs made up classes. It might as well be a ploy to waste your money and lock you into champlain because they are not transferable and they are not real classes and you have to take so many of them that you usually do not have room for electives. They are supposed to take the place of liberal arts classes. It is sad to see the core teachers teach because they are so intense about it and truly believe they are helping students. It is basically just a bunch of busy work that holds you back in your department classes. My students and other individuals think core is broken, including my advisor.Aside from core, Champlain isn't that bad of a college. They have some issues with housing and over accepting students they don't have room for and the food is not that great, but you can just move off campus after freshman year. There are no sports which I don't have any issues with and extracurricular activity is kind of nonexistent. I do really like my major and most of the professors in my department. If you find friends early on you will have a good time, the people around you are what makes or breaks the experience. Every college will have things you like and don't like about it. All in all Champlain isn't terrible and if they replaced core I think it would actually be a decent college. If you decide to come here just be prepared for a lot of the same kind of "filler" writing and very little flexibility due to core.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A, University Resource Use/ spending: D
I was one or two classes above theSuper BrilliantArt & Design Department
I was one or two classes above the core curriculum being implemented. I had a three history classes, four english and literature classes, a science class, a math, a psych or sociology class, and a logic and reason class required, then everything else was an elective, or required for my major, which was multimedia and graphic design, which the school changed to just graphic design for later students. However, that changed when they added a number of core classes, which everyone I knew seemed to complain about.

The environment catered to progressing and innovating within your career, but you needed to build your own path, and sort of know what you wanted to do.

The curriculum was easy enough that if you really wanted to, you'd be able to float through and graduate while not truly being prepared for a position in your field. However, if you were passionate about what you do, it was a great experience. The resources available were a tremendous help, and all of the professors seemed very encouraging.

Some people had difficulty getting jobs after school, but I graduated class of 2010, which was a year where the economy pretty much came to a halt, and no matter what school you went to, it was difficult for new grads to find positions, especially in graphic design.

I remember at times being frustrated with some aspects of my program, but most of those issues were resolved about the time that I was graduating. They started up a print shop for more hands on production experience. Began focussing more on digital and the technical side of it, namely teaching the design majors to code. Either way, these were all skill sets that I was self learning outside of school, and my courses did a great job teaching the fundamentals of design and interactive design which would've been much more difficult to learn on my own, and it's helped me exceed beyond my peers in my industry (web design).As for social life, it's very easy to find a place to fit in here. With no greek life, and no varsity sports, you don't have too much of your run of the mill sorority and frat type personalities. Almost everyone here has some sort of eccentric streak about them. Lots of gamers, lots of hippies, and lots of ski or snowboard bums, but I don't think having a brief hippy phase is such a bad thing in terms of growing as a person and with the access to mountains, it'd be weird if you weren't enthused about skiing or snowboarding.

4th Year Male -- Class 2010