StudentsReview :: Landmark College - Comments and Student Experiences

Landmark College

Like making any major decision, it pays toQuite BrightOther
Like making any major decision, it pays to carefully consider where you invest your money and time. For the time and money I spent going to Landmark, I feel now that I could have gained far more value investing it into another college or pursuit.

What honestly helped me do well in academics and deal with my ADHD was not Landmark's strategies, but taking the initiative to create my own and do my own research. It helped me to make the effort to branch out and learn from others. I found that Landmark did not prepare me adequately for my studies. Many of their philosophies, such as attend every class, did not hold up in my current college environment. I learned by adapting to my current environment and creating a social network/support structure. Being connected with others is key.

I found the general student culture to be eerie at times and having a negative vibe. I did not feel like many students respected themselves, and they often had defeatist attitudes. Of course, there were a few bright, warm, and respectable people. It is just that I found this to be the exception rather than the norm.

I often felt bored at Landmark and ? for a school the prides itself on being innovative ? it tends to use regular teaching methods more often than not. I found this disappointing. There also was little-to-no opportunity for students that found the class material too easy. if you came from a strong academic background, be warned!

Think carefully before you make your decision about going to Landmark. Consider many other alternatives ? they are out there! There are many other kind, knowledgable, and understanding people that are willing to help. You just need to find them and get to know them.

1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: D-
Like making any major decision, it pays toPreparatory

I often felt bored at Landmark and -- for a school the prides itself on being innovative -- it tends to use regular teaching methods more often than not. I found this disappointing. There also was little-to-no opportunity for students that found the class material too easy. if you came from a strong academic background, be warned!

Students with learning differences do not necessarily need specially-trained staff: good teaching is good learning. I have seen a similar quality of teachers at my current school, UMass Amherst, that are as understanding if not more so than my teachers at Landmark. At any school, there are good and bad teachers.

What I wish I learned while at Landmark was how to be more social. At such a small school with not much around over the weekend, this can be difficult. At a larger school with a lively town, there are many more opportunities for meeting new people. In retrospect, I would easily trade the 4.0 I got at Landmark and have right now for a 3.0 and a year of meeting/hanging out with freshman in Amherst. Social skills and networking are crucial for success in life, and I think Landmark was a poor environment for me to learn both those skills in.Think carefully before you make your decision about going to Landmark. Consider many other alternatives -- they are out there! There are many other kind, knowledgable, and understanding people that are willing to help. You just need to find them and get to know them.

The Students:Super BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
The Students:
The students that arrive here come in three flavors from most to least prevalent:
1. Those who are Passionate and on track, recognize their full potential waiting to be tapped and the responsibility they have to themselves. They are open minded, realizing they don't have all the answers and Landmark College is the place that they can try it all and fail without becoming a failure in order to figure out their strengths and weaknesses. They go above and beyond to learn and get the most from the experience. ( A small population)

2. Those who recognize they have struggles and see the need to learn the tools and habits to overcome them to achieve success. They exert what effort is need to achieve and get by. (The average student)

3. Those who didn't do well in high school or college, admit they have a hard time in the real world, but fail to recognize the effort and responsibility they have to their success. They exert minimum effort to get by. (A small but fierce group)

Everyone is open-minded and eclectic in their own way. ADHD minds are powerful when their attention is motivated and directed towards a meaningful cause. Creativity is prevalent. Everyone shares the common bond of AD/HD and the daily struggle to succeed despite the challenge. Many interesting minds.

Campus:
The Campus is small. The schools population is 500. The town of Putney has 2,000 ppl. There is nearly nothing to do on campus. You need a car to reach a social scene: Brattleboro and Keene are the closest towns... both are fun and artsy and contain many college people. Many mountains and fresh air.

Overall Positive:
This school is specifically designed for students with ADHD/LD with average to superior intellect. The formal education doesn't foster creativity nor does it allow much room for different learning styles. This college is built for creative minds who learn differently as long as a solid understanding of the material is achieved. This school provides vast resources and accessible faculty that are helpful, encouraging and understanding. This school has the most up to date technology to help foster different learning styles. One of the world's leading learning research facilities takes place on campus. All the faculty are extremely well trained and passionate about reaching out to those who are bright but struggled with conform with the pressures of the rigid education system. They professors are accessible for one on one appointments almost every day of the week. The remote campus keeps distractions non existent- but then again if you are ADD, you will find distractions. It's just up what kid of success you want from yourself. The school pairs you up with an ad visor that meets with you once or twice every two weeks. You set goals, review progress and organize scheduling that would be most helpful in getting you to the next college. Transfer Service department works closely to find the next college and the proper fit, making sure the credits are transferable. They are personable and helpful.

If you want to do well and stay on task, finding like minded people is achievable but difficult with only 500 people. There is little to do but study. The school is overall boring. No social scene at all. The population consists of ADD kids which can be annoying at times. Sometimes classes are distracting with all the ADD kids which detracts from classroom learning because of those who cant keep focused and constantly have to be redirected.

Summary:This is the most expensive school in the country at $50,000 a year. You get what you pay for, although sometimes you wonder if they price tag is really worth it. The school is what it is- and the only one in existence. If you want to learn skills and strategies to help you succeed, you will find them here. No one will spoon feed you. You earn everything. The staff is more than helpful and the resources are very abundant. There is minimal distractions, which is good for keeping on task, but bad if you want to get out and live a little. The credits here are transferable to many Universities. If you want to go on to a competitive college it is more than achievable with students transferring to Ivy league schools and top private colleges.

1st Year Female -- Class 2009