| Sort By:
| I am currently a freshman at Midd, and I have to say I can't wait to transfer out. There is absolutely nothing to do here, and I currently have too much work to party anyway. The closest city isn't even a real city, and it is literally in the middle of nowhere. I knew that the school was small and the surrounding area even smaller, but I had no idea it would make me feel this isolated. Coming from an urban environment, I have never felt more alone, and cry myself to sleep almost every night. The people here are 65% friendly, and the other 35% are assholes, but that's to be expected at any school. I'm just warning prospective students that yes the academics are obviously fantastic, but expect to feel disconnected, isolated, and completely alone. |
|Sep 07 2010|| 1st Year Female --
Class 2014 |
|Not so bright|
| Middlebury College is widely regarded as one of the nation's very best liberal arts colleges. Middlebury's beautiful, wide-open and airy campus has spectacular views of Vermont's mountains. Many students take advantage of the college's location and go hiking, skiing and other outdoor activities.|
Middlebury has a wealthy endowment so students always have access to first-class facilities and the best professors around. The college is well-known for its rigorous curriculum. Middlebury has a robust study-abroad program with schools all around the world. The college can also boast of a 9 to 1 student-to-faculty ratio and classes with usually less than 16 students. Almost half of the students receive some form of need-based financial assistance to cover their education.A very low acceptance rate means admissions can sculpt an academically-strong, talented and diverse incoming class. Middlebury students are distinguished by their academic excellence, creativity, self-direction and leadership.
|Aug 20 2010|| 3rd Year Male --
Class 2011 |
| Looking back at Midd 15 years out from London, I am really grateful for the opportunity to spend four years in the gorgeous green mountains and Midd's little slice of heaven. |
The pluses are clear: you did - and do - have the ability to start things, get things done and to go as far as you imagination and hard work will take you, in an environment that was super supportive. Where else could I have started a club team before classes started freshman year and finished writing at 50,000 word thesis on an arcane international relations topic?
You'll also appreciate the impact of the distribution requirements when you realise that you actually have a degree in after dinner conversations, because you will be much more broadly educated than your European peers.
The people are also genuinely great - and you really realise this after you leave; Midds are gregarious, bright, interesting and committed to the place in a way here in London that is commented on with a hint of jealousy by our friends from Williams, Amherst and the Ivys.
The negatives: it's in the middle of nowhere, and irrespective of how much you like snow, you'll be sick of it in mid-Feb. It's tiny and whilst this can be great, it can also be the loneliest place on earth at times. And unless you really want to work hard, you'll probably grow to loath it.But work hard, play hard, enjoy J-Term and four years will fly by: and it's great preparation for what comes next - work, grad school or whatever. Good luck and enjoy!
|Aug 19 2010|| 4th Year Male --
Class 1995 |