StudentsReview :: Norwich University - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Norwich University

School's being run into the ground

Mar 06 2013Biology
School's being run into the ground. This place will be gone in 10 years. The military aspect of the school is so watered down all cadets do is go to formation and wear a uniform. Commandants are corrupt, lying, shady, and untrustworthy. Do yourself a favor and don't come here. Especially if you want to dish out $44k a year for a piss poor experience
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Friendliness: A, Individual Value: F

I am a sophomore in the Corps of

Apr 12 2012Political Science
I am a sophomore in the Corps of Cadets and on the football team and I am transferring. I came to Norwich believing all of the lies the admissions staff told me. I thought it was going to be a school that was going to prepare me for the military. The best thing that prepared me for being an officer in the military was football practice. This school makes you not want to be in the military because of the kids you see everyday that will be in upon graduation.

The students there are the typical losers of high school. They are the kids that sat in the back, slept, played way too much call of duty, and were the ones that you could never trust having any type of responsibility. These kids have come to Norwich and they run the Corps of Cadets. The only normal people at that school are the athletes. The military officers the football team will graduate will do much better than any tool on the Ranger Challenge Team or MCW (which are some of the biggest losers). The kids at that school could tell you much more about a gun they learned about in a video game than what they are studying. The kids there are so socially awkward that there is no way in hell they will succeed in the real world. I am completely afraid for our Armed Forces if these are the type of kids that will be leading them.

Besides a few professors that are out of place, the faculty really doesn't do much to help the students. I wouldn't either if more than half of my class is asleep. The biggest joke is the leadership within the Corps. The juniors who got picked on in high school want to be cadre so they can have their turn. They are the biggest hypocrites and sleep in most of their classes. The students care more about what their uniform looks like than their grades, it is pathetic. Last semester I had a class of 21. Out of the 21, 13 were asleep. It is an absolute shame that these kids are wasting their parents money, or even worse, our government's money.I can't wait until some enlisted men put these kids in their place. Until then, someone needs to remind them that they aren't in the real military and their fake rank means nothing in the real world.

The administration has absolutely no clue about the average college age kid. Their policies on alcohol hurt more students than it helps. People drink ridiculous amounts of alcohol in their rooms and then wander around and break stuff. The school gives you absolutely NOTHING TO DO. I still can't figure out why people decide to go to Norwich if they aren't going into the military, it is the opposite of a normal college experience. There are probably six good looking girls on the entire campus. If you aren't an upperclassman on the football or hockey team, then you aren't even going to be able to talk to them. In terms of off campus opportunities, there are none. There is absolutely nothing in the town to do. If you go to a party at on off campus house (which if you don't play a sport don't bother going unless you want your ass kicked) you have to sneak back to campus because the town police have nothing else to do but bust kids for underage drinking. It is horrible. I honestly can't think of a reason to come to this school. The only positive was the kids I played football with. They were the most normal out of everyone.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Scholastic Success: F

I am a senior mechanical engineering student here

Apr 27 2012Mechanical Engineering
I am a senior mechanical engineering student here at Norwich. I have been here all four years of my undergraduate education.

I would like to preface this review by stating that I began my education here at Norwich as a student of mechanical engineering. Therefore I cannot comment with a great degree of accuracy on the overall merit of educational opportunities outside of the limited scope of my major. Engineers here follow an extremely structured degree tract, as is likely a similar case at other institutions. However I will try my best to give readers a general sense of my perceptions regarding the quality of the non-technical electives I have taken, as well as more detailed comments on the vast array of math/science/engineering courses required to fill my specific degree requirements.

I will begin by discussing my experiences with technical introductory classes such as Calculus I, II, III, Chemistry I, II and Intro to Engineering I, II. I believe Norwich University has some truly talented professors handling these freshman-level courses. The instruction is precise, accessible and fair. Professors were always helpful and extremely kind. The chemistry department, in particular, is staffed by talented, professional and interesting people that convey a passionate interest of their field. The general concern for students' well-being I witnessed in these courses was truly second-to-none. Overall, in my experience Norwich offers beginning technical students an incredible value.

Moving on to my experiences in more advanced technical courses my perceptions are polar opposites to the overwhelmingly positive early experiences I have initially described; so much so that I find difficulty in even beginning to elaborate on what, exactly, fails so desperately in Norwich U's attempt to cobble together an undergraduate engineering education into a meaningful experience.

The most glaring observation I can extract from a mountain of dissapointments here is the incredibly apathetic to downright derogatory attitude instructors of upper-level classes hold toward the university, fellow faculty members and students. Many professors seem to hold little to no personal interest in their fields - conveying a strategy of only "going through the motions". Instructors here often seem annoyed by further inquisition from curious students seeking more information. Others have nothing whatsoever to offer these students as they cannot offer any further or alternate explanation of material other than what is printed within an assigned textbook.

I have personally witnessed tenured engineering professors here at Norwich publically humiliate inquisitive students. Other professors create an equally poor learning environment by adopting a more subtle "learn by fear" approach to education. Every, single day I attend courses here at Norwich I am entirely baffled as to how a group of such highly educated people at an institution devoted almost entirely to teaching can be so unhelpful. What seems even more ironic is that Norwich is marketed as a "leadership laboratory" to prospective students. From the faculty here, I have learned exactly what not to do in positions where I am called to provide leadership.

General elective courses I have taken at Norwich have been better than my experience with higher-level technical courses. However, this is mostly due to common respect and courtesy instructors seem to give students outside of said technical classes - rather than a particularly notable or inspiring educational experience offered. Overall, these classes seem remarkably average and could easily be compared to a senior-level high school class offering at nearly any public institution.

In conclusion I would not choose to attend Norwich University again. As a senior, I feel I have missed out on a significant amount of education and experience at this institution. As a soon-to-be graduate seeking to enter the professional world I feel that Norwich has given me a negative outlook regarding my current skills and potential to succeed. This is something that I find myself constantly working to correct.

I sincerely hope that prospective students will find this review to be helpful.

4th Year Male -- Class 2012