StudentsReview :: The City University of Seattle - Comments and Student Experiences

The City University of Seattle

City University is an excellent school for theQuite BrightPsychology
City University is an excellent school for the working adult or student seeking a non research focused environment. The professors all are or have been professionals in their respective area of expertise. The mature adult student will appreciate the environment and respective classmates. The student who is looking for the experience of "partying it up", getting involved in a large amount of extracurricular activities, Fraternities/Sororities, attending sports events, etcetera will not find what they seek here. What they will obtain is a solid, well organized curriculum with experienced professors and an environment conducive to obtaining a level of success proportionate to their effort put forth.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D
I really enjoyed CityU for the most part.BrightCommunications
I really enjoyed CityU for the most part. I was aiming for a degree in Communications. I attender Winter - Summer 2009 taking 2 courses per quarter. Somewhere here wrote a review saying this was a diploma mill. Did they even attend this school? I did much more work in these online classes than I ever did when attending classes in person at my old University. At CityU, I would have to write 3 - 5 papers a quarter on top of all of the discussions. Plus there would be quizzes, essays and other homework assignments.

I love that the classrooms had chat areas for the students, however no one really utilized them. Classes were always small to begin with and would get even smaller as students dropped out.

I made the mistake of taking a programming class. That is just not meant to be taken online. I was the only student in the class and I just felt lost. I was promised tutoring if I stayed in the class. Never got the the tutoring and lost all of my money when I had to drop out because I was so far behind. So unless you already have a good foundation in programming, avoid it!

The communications core classes seemed to be very appealing. I never got to them though because I just could not afford the school anymore, even with tuition reimbursement (so expensive that I maxed out of the non-taxable amount quickly). I just registered at a school closer to home that is a lot cheaper. I can take 3 classes for the price of 1 at CityU. The communications core is not as exciting, but still good enough. If you can afford it, I would recommend CityU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A, Education Quality: F
I'm in the MBA program and just startedQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I'm in the MBA program and just started in January of 2009. I had attended a very good undergraduate university, and decided to forfeit paying considerable sums of money and taking out alot of loans to relocate so that I could remain in my city.

The program is not difficult, and although relevant work is assigned, the instructors are professionals who alot of times don't know how to teach the material or have a firm understanding of it. The course work is assigned and actual assignments require considerable effort, and they are relevant to improve your business knowledge and skills. If you are already working, then this is a GREAT opportunity because you can still keep your job and go to school at night or online. I'll give them that. But there's no real focus on examining the broader issues of, say, consumer behavior, or venture capita or work place ethics or intercultural communication. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for those people who are working or just want an applicable business education, but for those of you who want to really examine issues and engage with your instructors, its just not going to happen.

At the same time, it doesn't have alot of resources, or agreements with companies or corporations, or many job fairs or other work opportunities. If you are going to graduate school at City U with the expectation that they're going to help you transition to another career or job, then City U isn't for you. Have a plan.With that said, I would recommend this place for managers and professionals over 30 who don't want a major life change in updating their professional business education.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011